CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 11, 2003, 06:11 PM
Veteran

Default DVD x copy vs. dvd x copy express

sponsored links

Does dvd x copy (got version 1.5.2) do any compression or re-encoding when putting a dvd9 over 2 discs?

What i mean by that is is there any loss in quality when doing this as i assume all its doing is splitting a the vobs between the two discs and modifying the ifo's

I'm trying dvd xcopy express at the moment although on a 1x dvd-rw so i don't lose anything if it goes wrong but- didn't have much luck with a previous version of dvd x copy express (got very choppy audio) so am considering dvd x copy.

I've seen alot of people giving dvd xcopy express 3.0 or 3.1 the thumbs up and wanted to know is the quality from this comparable to say cce.

also is there a way to write the output of dvd x copy or dvd x copy express to the hard drive so i could verufy the rip from my hd and then burn to a dvd-r using nero or record now max?

Last edited by nimbles; Aug 11, 2003 at 06:14 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 03:23 PM

Both programs do an excellent job of ripping dvds. The quality is very good with both. DVDxcopy will break a dvd9 into 2 dvds or backup a dvd5 onto 1 disc. It does not encode it just rips.

DVDxcopy xpress takes a dvd9 and makes it fit in 1 disc. It eliminates all of the extras (including the menus) and does not give you the option to keep anything. It will compress the movie, but not encode.

Both programs pause in after ripping to allow you to insert a dvdr. At that point you can go into the temp folder and copy the video_ts and audio_ts to another folder. When you close the program it will erase the temp, but you will have the dvd in a new folder. Then you can burn with Nero or something. You can also eliminate the 321 studios backup message (very easy to do).

I use both religiously and they are excellent! I have found dvd decrypter and dvd shrink to produce lower quality movies.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 03:34 PM
Veteran

DVD X COPY Xpress is definitely the better of the two. It puts everything on a single disc and is compatible with more DVD Players (i.e. My XBOX won't read anything done with the original DVD X COPY but will read all discs done with Xpress). Also the original X COPY started giving me coasters after a short period of time for no apparent reason. I only use Xpress for movies that require really high levels of compression though.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 05:17 PM
Veteran

well i've now used dvd xcopy express and i'm very impressed- i'm using version 3.0 and i was able to keep the menus and extras from the r2 version of something about mary (about 6gb)- and it worked fine on my dvd player (pansonic dvr31)

I'm now trying with a multi episode dvd (futurama) to see if it works for those- if it does i guess i really don't need dvdxcopy anyway (unless the dvd9 fully utilises the the 9.4gb space- i guess)

dvd shrink 3 beta 3 also seems to let me do this- i'll try both and report back with the results.

jesterrace777- you say you use it for high compression siuations only. How come- are there better methods for lower compression situations?
Old Aug 12, 2003, 07:00 PM
Veteran

I personally like DVD Shrink V2.3 for the customised options it gives me (slection of compression levels, ripping out specific audio tracks, ect). However I have yet to try the newest version of DVD Shrink or X COPY Xpress so I don't know the actual differences. The other thing is that you get that annoying backup message with Xpress. Of course there is a way around it but I like not having to remember to do that extra step.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 02:07 AM
Veteran

Ok tried futurama series 1 disc 2 (r2), which is around 5.6gb- and managed to rip that onto a single dvd-rw (verb)- using dvdx copy xpress- kept everything- all audios and menu structure and extras.

Played with no hitch on dvd player, got a dirty disc error on my xbox the first time but then worked on second attempt (not sure if this is a media issue) next step is burn on my batch of ritek g04 dvd-r discs.

quality? i'm no expert on this so if you guys have a program that can compare this sort of thing I can try it- to me the dvdxcopy xpress version of something about mary i did is marginally better than the dvd shrink 3 beta 3 version in both cases i kept all the extras

Can you also remove the dvd's own warning messages for the different regions, in the same way you guys remove the 321 message- futurama has the warning for the uk, australia, france and italy- so takes about 2 minutesto get through all this.