CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:23 PM

Default CDrom nightmares

sponsored links

I have quite a history for you and I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not.

My son likes to record himself playing the guitar with MusicMatch Juke Box, plays back the file with Media Player, plays along with it and records it, he's like a one man band.
Here's the situation;
We tried to DL Quicktime a few days ago.
He needed the player for a school project, it came with iTunes.
Or he may have downloaded iTunes thinking he was getting the player, not sure.
We went through the whole install process but neither programs installed. Went through the set up twice and nothing. Screen flashed a couple times, no Icons, no nothing..........
Coincidence?
Anyways. This was all working fine for quite some time until this past Monday after trying Quicktime.
You open MM, push the record button and a dialoge box pops up with "Microsft Visual C++ Runtime Error", shows the path to the program, you select OK and the prog shuts down.

It just gets better.
I was going to do a system restore, All of my restore points are gone, but this situation has changed, it started restoring Monday, anything before the Quicktime/iTunes fiasco is gone.

The other night the oldest is yelling upstairs, "Dad, What’s wrong with the cd burner!!"
I came down only to find out both my optical drives are gone. They have a yellow exclaimation on them in the device manager.
Choose properties through the device manager and I get "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".
I googled "Code 39" and there's a myriad of registry related goofs that I could be a victim off. See MSKB; ********support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;q314060
The only thing about this article is that I have that same string in about 14 other places not the one they mention and in as many subkeys, except for down the page under more information. It is in that key as written.

OK with all this said, System restore is functioning now but, any points prior to 1/8 are gone.
A buddy from the IS dept at work gave me a quick fix “CDGONE”.
I can see both drives now. And the error 39 is gone in device manager.
But now when I boot up I get an error message, “The CDR4_XP.SYS driver on your system is old. Please reinstall Direct CD to update this driver”.
I joined a site to DL this driver, when I tried to install it I got a dialogue box that asked, “it already exists, do you want to overwrite?” And ironically, it's older than the first version. Goofy!

I put a cd in tha main cdrom and nothing happens. I try to access it through explorer and it says, “Please inset disc”.
When I put it in my other drive nothing happens, access through explorer does nothing.
I put a blank cd-r in, I chose create cd with Easy CD creator and the box popped up about the CDR4 thing but said it was unable to load it.

For some reason I just have to believe that iTunes/Quicktime mac ^%*#! corrupted my registry and I'm unclear as how to repair it.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide,

Jeff
Old Jan 20, 2006, 06:37 PM

What a nightmare.

Have you tried downloading a register cleaner to see if it will pickup and invalid enteries? If not give that a shot.

Also make sure that iTunes/Quicktime are completly removed and do this via Safe Mode in the system.

try ***********.jv16.org/ <30 day trial

and

********docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60798

If these dont work you may need a complete reinstall of the O/S - something I do not like suggesting at all
Old Jan 20, 2006, 08:25 PM

I completely forgot I registered here........ Duh!

I fixed the problem by un installing Roxio, figure the kids can burn with Windows Media Player. I cleaned up the reg with an editor I DL'd some time ago, it has a utility to restore the reg to a previous point.
And I started a fresh restore point with system restore.

But!!!
Was it here I read a post with a link to completly remove Roxio? A Roxio Killer or something like that?
I have reminents of it splashed all over.

Thanks Jeff
Old Jan 21, 2006, 07:51 AM

You can get the Roxizap tool at ********tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

Last edited by jmbrown12; Jan 21, 2006 at 07:54 AM.