CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 12, 2002, 08:28 PM

Default do all firewalls use a proxy?

sponsored links

Guys please help me out here,

there's a prog i want to use but it won't function through a proxy, I use norton which has a proxy, so I was wondering whether zone alarm, etc do too.

forgive my ignorance on this subject and please help me if you can.

thanks, C
Old Nov 13, 2002, 08:15 PM
suspended

ZoneAlarm doesn't use a proxy server.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 12:40 AM

Thanks for that, I really needed to know, people have been reccomending zone alarm to me for ages.
However is zone alarm easy to configure when it comes to giving programs web access, I mean as in the way norton just asks whether prog x should be allowed to access the net? Or do you have to mess around with slots/ports?

Thanks again
Old Nov 15, 2002, 09:16 AM
Veteran

I know that zone alarm pro 3 is the same as norton in that respect, it is either yes allow it, or no, block it. You can tick a box so it remembers your choice, for programs that regularly access the net, like internet explorer, outlook express etc.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the information guys it's very helpful and I appreciate it.

There is one last thing that's bugging me though, my pc is **** to be frank, and I've read that zone alarm is memory/resource hungry - I'm running norton already so is ZA much more power hungry?

I really need a firewall without a proxy that is not too resource hungry, please help me out on this.......

thanks again,

C