CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:31 PM

Default Home Networking problem

sponsored links

(oops, sorry didnt mean to re-post this, just realised I had it in the wrong section)

Hi

Im not the best when it comes to networking,hopefully someone can help me with this minor problem.

Okay. Ive got a wireless router sharing an internet connection, and two PC's. One is connected via Ethernet cable and the other Wireless PCI card. I have got them both accessing the internet, that was easy enough. But what I am struggling with, is being able to access files on one from the other.

I can see both computers when I go to Workgroup but when I click on then I dont have access and am not sure how to get it.

One PC is running Win2000, and the other XP.

Thanks in Advance for any help.

Gary
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:29 PM

I've allowed guest access on both computers but that hasnt seemed to make any difference. After changing a few things I cant see the computers at all on the workgroup now, but I do still have an Internet connection. Any help would be great.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 06:03 PM

Worth trying the following if u've not already done so

Desktop
My Computer
Hard Drive - Rightclick - Properties
Sharing Tab
Share this folder on the network
Restart if prompted

I doubt its gonna solve your problem though.

If above works drag network drive from my network places onto desktop for easier future access.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 08:28 AM

Okay, this is what Im getting now after turning off the firewalls on both pc's:

"Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept."

How do I allow permission? I have set the shared folder with full access to everybody.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 08:53 AM

right, im a step closer now. I can see the shared files on the xp computer when using the 2k comp, but not the other way round. I have allowed everyone, and anonymous users to connect to the shared folders but I still cant get access!
Old May 05, 2004, 08:10 PM
Veteran

XP sets up a ICS firewall too, which you have to turn off.