CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD > DVD/CD Media Discussion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:34 PM

Default Ritek or Memorex or TDK

sponsored links

What's the best media for xbox/ps2 games if price of the DVDr doesn't matter at all? I know ritek is pretty good but only cuz of the price right? let me know
Old Jan 27, 2004, 09:58 PM
Veteran

It all comes down to the dye on the disc. Ritek is not only good for the price but it is one of the best medias for compatibility and that is why it is so highly recommended. The difference between Ritek and Memorex/TDK is that Ritek manufacters thier own dye so you always know what you are dealing with when you order Unbranded Ritek/Ridata. With Memorex and TDK who knows. name brand discs prefer to just grab whatever company will give them the best deal at the time and slap thier label on the disc. Memorex generally carry the CMC dye which isn't the greatest and hence Memorex do not have the best reputation. TDK generally carry the Ritek or Taiyo Yuden dye so they are generally pretty good discs as Ritek is an excellent dye as is Taiyo Yuden. However there are a few batches that carry cheaper dyes and so you are taking a gamble. Here is the break down with TDK: 1. You are getting decent priced Taiyo Yudens 2. You are getting overpriced Riteks 3. With any other dye you are just getting flat out robbed. So now you know why Riteks are so highly recommended. It's not only that they are reasonably priced but they are also carry one of the highest quality dyes out there. Taiyo Yuden and Apple are a little bit better but one look at the price tag should tell you why people don't recommend them more often. I have used Ritek DVD-R on all 3 of the stock XBOX DVD Drives and they work fine on my R version modded PS2. For movies they have worked on all 3 different XBOX DVD Drives and on 5 different versions of PS2s. I have yet to find a machine that won't play my Riteks (movies or games).
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:28 PM

as always lots of info, thanx!!!!!
Old Feb 01, 2004, 04:28 PM
Veteran

Apple media was pretty good back then. They're still expensive, 3 dollar per dvd, but they have a nice white "apple"-ish cover. If they did sell these in bulk of 50 or 100 for a cheaper price, I would difintely use these for my PS2 Backup.
Old Feb 01, 2004, 10:29 PM
Veteran

When prices get cheaper on DVD-Rs I will probably go with Taiyo Yuden myself. However they have pretty much stayed the same for the last 4-5 months while Riteks have been dropping a little bit every few weeks. There is just too much of a difference in price to make up for the small difference in compatibility.