CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 03, 2005, 05:01 AM

Default Reading Dual Layer DVDs

sponsored links

I have a dvd writer that does not write dual layer DVDs. Does this mean I am unable to copy them with DVD x Copy, or even decrypt them with DVD Decrypter?

The reason I ask is that my DVD writer plays dual layer DVDs - which surely means that it is reading them? Does that mean it can read them and not write them?

Thanks for your Help

Wizzo
Old Feb 03, 2005, 08:49 AM

" Does that mean it can read them and not write them? " That is correct sir!
Old Feb 03, 2005, 08:57 AM

yeah sorry to ask such a stupid question, but when I try to backup dual layer DVDs with either DVD x Copy or DVD Decrpter, it fails at the same point everytime (I assume the error occurs when it tries to read the second layer).

Does anybody know why this is happening, and how to overcome the problem?
Old Feb 03, 2005, 01:45 PM

Your player is able to read(playback) dual layer DVD's, but not write them. It doesn't mean you can't rip them and compress them (using DVDshrink, cloneDVD etc..) onto a 4.7gb single layer DVD.

Are you wrting them directly to a disc, or are you ripping them to your hard drive?

You should first rip the movie to your HD (I use DVDdecrypter and rip the entire movie). For larger movies (dual layer encoded movies) I use DVDshrink and Clone DVD to back up and compress the movie to fit onto a single disc....then use Nero to burn it.

Works for me....only 1 coaster out of the first 40 movies I've burned (and it was the first one).
Old Feb 04, 2005, 03:48 AM

when you use dvd decrypter, do u set it to ignore errors? I cannot rip them unless I change this setting, and I can't test it because I need to buy more dvds!

... out of interest I use Verbatim DVD+r DVDs. These should be fine shouldn't they? I used to use some cheap and nasty DVDs that actually have the word BARGAIN printed on them! They did work fine but now my DVD writer only seems to be able to write on decent quality DVDs.
Old Feb 04, 2005, 01:11 PM

Maybe I'm missing something here. Are you using DVDDecrypter to rip them to your HD and then to a DVD?

If so you are missing a critical step. After rippng them with DVDdecrypter you need to backthem up using DVDshrink, CloneDVD, or a similar program, as they will compress the decrpypted files so that dula layer sized DVD's will fit onto a single layer DVD.

I'm not sre what my settings are off hand but I can check later. I have used only -R's as they have better DVD player compatability. I've used TDK and Memorex with out any problems so far.