CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows ME
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:15 PM
Veteran

Lightbulb Help with AGP card install please? [Mine; AMD K6/500; winME]

sponsored links

Hi guys, in order to free up a PCI slot I've bought an AGP card to replace my PCI graphics card & I'd like to make the installation as painless as possible. So, before I remove the old card will I first have to enable BIOS or anything like that?
This is what it says in BIOS at the moment. Under the option, "integrated peripherals" I have the choice of, "Init display first" it is set to PCI, that can be changed to AGP, do I need to do that. If I do, should I then remove old card in device manager, shut down, replace card and restart?
My Mainboard is a jetway 542BS. It also says, Award modular bios V4.51PG and V.542/542BS C02.1 3.23.1999 which I take to be the date.
AMD K62/500
I think that covers it, hope this makes sense? Any help will be much appreciated.
Steeve.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:42 PM

I upgraded my AGP graphics card to AGP by removing from device manager, shutting down, replacing and turning on.

My BIOS (I seem to have different settings) says PCI but still works even though it's AGP. I think you may have to change yours to AGP though. However you should get confirmation from another member first before attempting your upgrade good luck!
Old Jan 14, 2003, 02:53 PM

Your BIOS will automatically detect the AGP port is in use because there will be a request for power from the card in there. It should not matter that the Int. Peripherals says PCI, this is just the first thing it looks for.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 04:18 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the replies guys. So, do I just remove old drivers, switch off PC, change cards, switch PC on again & install new drivers?
Steeve.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 04:36 PM

yup that's what i did, remember to anti-static yourself before touching the inside of the computer though!
Old Jan 16, 2003, 06:18 AM
Veteran

Thanks for the help, the install went like clockwork and the odd thing is that when I'm on the net now, pages load much faster, is there a reason for that? I'm not imagining it, it's a fact.