CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Consumer's Opinion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 23, 2006, 11:23 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Quote:
It's called LabelFlash to avoid royalty payments, the end result is the same and you couldn't pick the difference (even though LabelFlash has a few advantages over LightScribe), so what's your point?
Actually, I thought the point was quite clear.
I corrected [B]chandler68[/B] because the NEC ND-4551 uses the [B]LabelFlash[/B] technology and not [B]LightScribe[/B] as he stated.
Currently, NEC is the only optical drive manufacturer that employs this technology.

Lightscribe is applicable to CDRs and DVD+R media and etches only on the label side of the media.
LabelFlash is applicable only to DVD+R media and etches on both the label and data side of the media.

[B][i]It's called LabelFlash to avoid royalty payments[/i][/B]
LabelFlash was announced October 19, 2005 by [B]Yamaha Corporation[/B] and [B]Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd[/B].
LightScribe was announced on January 4, 2004 by [B]HP[/B].
Besides the fact the the end results both technology are similar, I fail to see how royalty comes into play. Different technologies introduced by different companies using lasers that operate at different frequencies and different media has no relevance to royalty payments.
Your statement would lead one to believe that LightScribe and LabelFlash are the same but LabelFlash was renamed to avoid royalty payments.
This rumor is simply not true.
Since there are no patents on direct disc labelling technologies, what we have here are several companies with competing technologies that have similar results.

Quote:
And how do you figure it's a new technology?

Drives have been available for well over a year, and HP were talking about it over 2 yrs ago.

That's an eternity in technology.
Advancements in technology are not measured chronologicaly. Advancements are measured by the evolution of the technology regardless of time.
For example:
The LabelFlash technology is based on Yamaha's [B]Disc T@2[/B] technology was debut over four years ago. Evolution was stagnant and most people never heard of this. Currently LabelFlash is not available to some countries, notably it is not (and may never be) available in the USA. Consequently, it is fair to say that the average PC consumer is not even aware of the existence of the technology in the USA. I would say that the technology is new, wouldn't you?
New would describe the level of awareness possessed by the consumer.
Regardless of how long the technology has been in development, it remains new to the consumer when introduced.
Quite frankly, the average consumer is aware of neither Lightscribe nor LabelFlash. Therefore the technology is new as such.

I would agree with you that the current status of either products is as such that you would be correct in describing the technology as a niche product in terms of applications based on current consumer awareness.

I apologise to all for hijacking this thread. I will desist and allow the discussions to continue on topic.

Last edited by BlackDiamondJr; May 23, 2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old May 23, 2006, 05:41 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

You aren't hijacking this thread, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and frankly if more people expressed it, forums would be a better place.

Anyway, no use going on about it, you obviously like the technology or think it may have a promising future, and I obviously don't.

(Point regarding the names are the end result is the same and you couldn't tell the difference, so it's irrelevant as far as this topic and thread is concerned)