CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Consumer's Opinion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 15, 2005, 09:54 AM

Thumbs up HDD DVD Recorder Recommendation

sponsored links

I decided to treat myself to a HDD DVD recorder. I bought a Toshiba RD-XS32 and this thing is funking great! The quality of recording is fantastic if it is set to its highest quality setting but even at the lowest setting it is damned good. According to the manual, it would take approximately 1 1/2 hours to burn a full DVD from content stored on the HDD...it did it for me in about 15 minutes! When making DVD's, it allows me to edit out parts I don't want. What I accidently found to be the best part though is its ability to produce almost factory quality video from video tapes. When I copy videotapes to my PC HD my video card does a good job but because of the different resolutions between DVD's and tapes, the result look exactly like what it is...a videotape burned onto a DVD...but when I recorded some videotapes onto a DVD using this recorder, the result was almost true factory pressed DVD quality. My only complaints are the facts that it is complicated to use...the instructions take up about 230 pages and it seems to be picky about recordable DVD's...it rejected a cheap no name, a mid-priced Imation and an expensive Maxell...but it had no problems with a Fuji. If you're considering buying a HDD DVD reorder, I highly recommend this one!

Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:15 PM

Question

Hey Tom I just started a post asking about something like this. When making a disc how hard is it to edit out the commercials? Is it difficult to use? How do you know if a player lets you edit out parts you dont want? This thing sounds great except I'd like a 160GB Hard drive. Can I make a disc editing out what I dont want in 15 min or does this add significant time to it? What does it cost brand new? Feel free to tell me all about it. Boomer
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:32 AM

i have the one from aldi , it has a 160gb hard drive, plays divx xvid. really is good.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:42 AM

I still haven't read the entire instruction manuals. I've just read about the functions I'm interested in e.g. recording, editing, burning etc.

1 ) It's easy to edit commercials out.

2 ) It was difficult to use for about one week but that's because I hadn't memorized how to use it yet.

3 ) I guess the best way to find out about a particular model's editing capabilities is to check it up on the company's website.

4 ) Editing out portions of your recorded content will add time to the entire process but not that much ( on my model it's best to record something, make a playlist ( that's just what you want on a DVD ) and then burn the original copy you make from the playlist onto a DVD. You could edit out whatever you don't want and burn it directly to a DVD but the manual suggests not doing that.

5 ) Brand new, this cost a little under $1000.00 CDN one year ago ( I checked it up on the net ). I bought mine on ebay for $120.00 CDN in September...it was less than a year old and in excellent condition.

Depending on your recording quality you can fit a lot onto a DVD. I currently have a big Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad file that's over 3 hours long and recorded at a very low AV setting and it looks as though a blank DVD will hold 4 hours whereas when I recorded something at the highest setting, the DVD would hold only about 1 1/2 hours. It can record from cable, VCR, DVD palyer and just about anything else that you could plug into it. One feature which it has which I don't like, is it will not record from a DVD player which is playing a macrovision encoded DVD. I currently have about 9 hours of recorded content on the HD which was recorded at a pretty high AV quality setting and it looks like it can hold a lot more. If you need more info, let me know.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:43 AM

BTW, it will also play DVD's, CD's, VCD's, DVD-RW, DVD-R, etc.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the good detailed replies. I'm a little confused on number 4.

4 ) Editing out portions of your recorded content will add time to the entire process but not that much ( on my model it's best to record something, make a playlist ( that's just what you want on a DVD ) and then burn the original copy you make from the playlist onto a DVD. You could edit out whatever you don't want and burn it directly to a DVD but the manual suggests not doing that.

Do you mean when you make a playlist that gives you points or chapters (or whatever they call them) to skip to? The second way of just editing and burning gives you one long program and thats it? Am I understanding that right?

I guess I would have to ask if you record at a very low AV setting, how is the quality compared with watching the original broadcast? What setting makes it the same quality as watching it on TV? Thanks