CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Consumer's Opinion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 19, 2005, 01:48 PM

Default Any advice on plasma tv's?

sponsored links

in the january sales im hoping that i might be able to afford a 42 inch plasma tv . but to be honest i dont realy know much about em, u guys any advice?

btw i was looking at this one
***********.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&pro duct_uid=91529
Old Dec 19, 2005, 05:54 PM
Veteran

That tv is LCD not a plasma.....

If you check it you can see it has a 800:1 contrast ratio, a regular CRT tv has a 5000:1 contrast ratio usually.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 08:46 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

You don't have to check anything to tell, it clearly states at the top,

" High Quality [b]LCD[/b] TV "

As far as Plasma's are concerned, I wouldn't buy one. They are expensive, overrated, and have a poor shelf life.

CRT, Rear Projection, or LCD are far better.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:06 PM

firstly thanx 4 replying

sory i didnt get back sooner but i had a nasty little virus! but i am up and running again

ok second point silly me posted wrong link doh

should have bin this one
***********.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&pro duct_uid=96187
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:22 PM

right just had my tea now back to finish what i didnt write b4

ok going round the local comet electrical store i wae judging the picture on the diferent tvs

the lcd ones had great pictures but of course are smaller

some of the plasmas just have breathtaking quaility, i have to say i think they have come o nin the last couple of years.
as for projector tvs wel li have read some good reviews about them but to be honest looking at them in store they have all been disapointing .
thats y i thought plasma.

anyway i too thought plasmas didnt last long but reading different articles about them it would seem that is no longer true

here is a qoute from one of the reviews

"
In a nutshell, plasma screens do not work with a back light.

A plasma screen is made up of 2 layers of glass with pixels in it. Each pixel contains 3 cells using gases called Xenon and Neon. An electrode passes over each of these cells, vertically and horizontally. When a voltage is applied to these electrodes, current flows and ultraviolet light is emited from the gasses inside the cells. This reacts with the phosphor coating on the back of the cell and it glows brightly. Depending on the mixture of the gases it will emit either red,green or blue light from the cell. Add thousands of these together you get a picture.

I read recently of someone who recieved a delivery of a plasma screen and was informed not to tilt it to far or it would leak. NOT TRUE.

Plasma screens do lose some of the gasses used to make the screen after some use, but not alot.

The screen of the unit cannot be repaired.

Average life expectancy of plasma tv's are given as for example...If use the TV for 5 hours a day, it should last 50 years!.

Im looking at buying one so doing some research.

Hope this helps"
ok i know this is just one persons opinion
Old Dec 27, 2005, 03:08 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

No one can say that a plasma TV will last 50 YRS as they haven't been around that long, and I don't trust new technology until it's established. (I also don't have much faith in some internet sites. Anyone can post anything, but that doesn't make it right.)

They do have a great picture though. If they were cheaper, and it was widely accepted that they have a long shelf life, I would be supportive.

As far as LCD's, they also have problems like poor viewing angle and dead pixels etc.

Rear projection TV's require a fairly dark room, and the picture isn't as impressive as Plasma or LCD's, but they are cheap and have huge screen sizes.

CRT's have a lot going for them in my opinion, and shouldn't be ruled out.

Anyway, the most important thing is to not rush into a decision and study each platform and decide on the most suitable. (as you are obviously doing)