CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Consumer's Opinion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 19, 2006, 10:49 AM

Default What is the BEST Lightscribe DVD Burner?

sponsored links

Okay, right now I do have a HP Lightscribe dvd burner (don't know the model #) but it came with my HP Media Center PC.

I burned one of the photo on the lightscribe dvd by HP and used the best quality possible.

It burnt fine but I don't think it's really sharp or looked really good.

So I wonder if I got the cheap lightscribe dvd burner on my PC.

So my question is, if anyone here that has or knows the best quality lightscribe dvd burner out there that would burn the best quality photos and all onto the lightscribe dvds?

I really appreciate it.
Old May 20, 2006, 01:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcool007
Okay, right now I do have a HP Lightscribe dvd burner (don't know the model #) but it came with my HP Media Center PC.

I burned one of the photo on the lightscribe dvd by HP and used the best quality possible.

It burnt fine but I don't think it's really sharp or looked really good.

So I wonder if I got the cheap lightscribe dvd burner on my PC.

So my question is, if anyone here that has or knows the best quality lightscribe dvd burner out there that would burn the best quality photos and all onto the lightscribe dvds?

I really appreciate it.
The technology is generic, so it should not vary from one drive to another.
The variation would exist in the media as the production process can possible produce such variances.

There are several options available to you.

The first option is to re-insert the disc and burn the same label again. You do have the ability to burn that label as many times as you choose and it shows more contrast with each repetition.

The second option is to try one of the more recent media that uses the new [B]Lightscribe 1.2[/B] technology instead of the older Lightscribe 1.1. These new media has reduced labelling time and better contrast.

The third option is to employ the use of the [B]HP Lightscribe Extended Label Contrast Utility[/B]. It extends the labelling time to produce better contrast. Application of the utility will vary based on what version of the Lightscribe Driver is installed on your system.

The final option is to convert the images used in the label to black and white before applying them to the label. The contrast can then be optimized for maximum enhancement.
Old May 20, 2006, 07:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Lightscribe is a gimmick in my opinion.

Good idea in theory, and fun the first few times, but in practice it produces poor results compared to printing, and it's slow.

I'd rather just buy a decent printer that can print direct to CD's/DVD's, like one of the Canon Pixma range, which aren't that expensive.
Old May 21, 2006, 08:53 PM
Veteran

I totaly agree with Insomniac on this, i have a lightscribe burner NEC DVD/RW ND-4551A, not impressed with the results, so i dont bother using it for this.

colin.
Old May 22, 2006, 09:10 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler68
I totaly agree with Insomniac on this, i have a lightscribe burner NEC DVD/RW ND-4551A, not impressed with the results, so i dont bother using it for this.

colin.
I'm afraid you are mistaken here.
The NEC drives do not employ the use of the Lightscribe technology, but rather the [B]LabelFlash[/B] technology.
The basic principles and end results are similar.

Direct to Disc labelling will not impress everyone.
I agree that a single-pass etch is quite unimpressive.
However, for those who don't mind the time, multi-pass etching can be rather impressive.

Although I do not advocate the use of Direct Labelling for everyday use, it is certainly a better alternative than using a Sharpie marker when one desire to present a professional looking product.

One could also argue that a printer that prints labels directly to inkjet printable CDs/DVDs would be a better alternative.

There was a point when I also had reservations regarding the technology.
But until you have actually had first hand experience with the different possibilities of this technology, it is unfair to pass judgement.
While I have not completely embrassed the technology, I would not employ the use of the word "gimmick". The technology is still in it's infant stages and will probably evolve into a more practical and economical labelling system in the future.

Observe the difference between single-pass and multi-pass in the Lightscribe Review.

***********.cdfreaks.com/article/239/5
Old May 22, 2006, 06:00 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDiamondJr
I'm afraid you are mistaken here.
The NEC drives do not employ the use of the Lightscribe technology, but rather the [B]LabelFlash[/B] technology.
The basic principles and end results are similar.

The technology is still in it's infant stages and will probably evolve into a more practical and economical labelling system in the future.

I'm afraid you're mistaken here.

It's called LabelFlash to avoid royalty payments, the end result is the same and you couldn't pick the difference (even though LabelFlash has a few advantages over LightScribe), so what's your point?

And how do you figure it's a new technology?

Drives have been available for well over a year, and HP were talking about it over 2 yrs ago.

That's an eternity in technology.

Basically, it's a niche product that will satisfy a small sector of the market.......