CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 08, 2003, 12:42 PM
Veteran

Default very strange problem with mouse [; ; winXP]

sponsored links

i have a microsoft optical intellimouse, every so often the pointer will freeze and when i re-boot the pointer won't move at all, if i check the hardware tab in mouse properties there is no device present even though the mouse seems to be working ok cos the optical light is on, normally if i re-boot a few times it'll start working again and will show up in mouse properties.
i'm using the latest drivers but also had this problem with the original drivers supplied with it, i've also tried connecting it to both ps2 and usb ports but it doesn't make a difference.
i don't think it's a conflict with something in my pc as i've had this problem on 2 pc's with the same mouse and recently built a new one with all brand new parts apart from mouse, keyboard and network card.
it's driving me nuts cos i can't find out whats causing it, today i tried for about 3 hours to get it working then restarted in safe mode and it was working so i re-booted and it worked fine
one last thing, i bought the mouse in october 2000 and have only had this problem in the last 4 or 5 months but i'm certain it's not a fault with the mouse as it works perfectly apart from whenever i get this problem

thanks in advance for any help
Old Jan 08, 2003, 01:40 PM
Veteran

Sounds to me like the mouse. You can't really say that you're certain it's not a mouse problem because it works all the time apart from when it doesn't !!!

The only common factor in all your cases above is the mouse.
Old Jan 09, 2003, 04:11 AM

If you have a friend that has a computer or you have another computer, you can connect the mouse and see if it is actually the mouse that has a problem, or if it is your computer. Also you can try to connect the mouse to a different USB port if you have more that one to see if your USB port is not the one that is busted.
Old Jan 09, 2003, 07:34 PM
Veteran

Some programs will conflict and casue this or someone might be playing games with you, with a trojan.