CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 20, 2003, 01:56 PM
Unhappy XP Prob on New Laptop.. [; ; winXP]

sponsored links

My cousin has just started at Uni, before he went my uncle got him a new laptop to do his work on and also to keep in touch via the net and MSN etc..

Now i dont know what's happened but theres a prob with the laptop, something my cousin has done probably..

The tech support folks said to use the restore disc (The usuall).. but my uncle thinks thats a bit extreme, and also my cousin would lose all the software they put on it before he left home which is i'd say approx over 500 - 550 miles away..

What's happening :

The laptop switches on ok and XP starts up..

The desktop (The background) is ok, not in Safe mode or anything, looks to be how it should..

The desktop is ok BUT there are no Icons and there is also No Toolbar..

Thats the problem..

A Pal said that you can totally hide the desktop, another pal said to do a Restore from the Bios..

PLEASE can anyone help..?? My unk is bugging me as the lappy was over £1000 and he's not happy at my cousin coz he doesn't know whats happened to it..

Maybe it's a simple solution, maybe not..??

Any help much appreciated, by email or on here..

Thanx Guy's,

Old Sep 20, 2003, 02:16 PM

"Restore from the Bios" wtf is that supposed to mean?

And as your other pal said make sure you dont have it hidden. Right click, arange icons by, and make sure show desktop icons is checked.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 02:19 PM

Hi m8,

Restore from Bios..?? Dont know, only posting what i was told..

I'll try the Arrange Icons by.. And Check Desktop icons on my pc and i'll get him to try that..

Thanx for that m8..Will let you know if it works..