CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:42 AM
Default win xp password problem [; ; winXP]

sponsored links

my m8 has just bought a laptop and when he switched it on he has 2 choices.

he can log in as admin or log in as guest.

but the problem is he cant log in as admin as he dont have the password, and the guy he bought it from never used the admin account.

is there anyway he can get through the password in xp, or is he stuck using the guest account.

is there a way passed the password.

please let me know

Old Sep 20, 2003, 08:09 AM

If its a new Laptop he may as well go for a format and reinstall and save the bother.

Ive never used any of these tools and cannot commment on how effective they are but if he has nothing too lose, then try this lot out I found on another forum:

Windows Password Recovery

Try the following,

First: Are you sure yove forgotton it? Try just hitting return (in case there is no password), Then try all the password you would usually use
remember passwords are CaSe senSiTive so try with the caps lock on and off, or capitalise the first "Letter"

NB. All these tools, and links are to third party tools and involve directly or indirectly changing the registry. I accept no responsibility for their use.

Your passwords are held (encrypted) in your registry and in youre "restore" directory. These tools edit one or more of these locations from a boot disk

Arm yourself with a blank (clean) Floppy Disk

Ive used this one on XP and it works

Or try the following

This link will download software that creates a Linux Boot floppy that will let you change Passwords.

*********** eq=getit&lid=6

Using this link you will have to download the Image writer then the boot disk image

Or try This one from Sunbelt

This ones NOT free but Its what I use

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk

Heres some further reading

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires

Good Luck! PL

Another Method:

try to look at links below..
Visit here:

Another method: (refer to this link:*********** )
Parallelly install XP in D: drive:

Once installed XP parallelly (in D drive, it is easy to reset the password in the primary XP installation.

Start Windows XP (D: drive)
Open Explorer.exe and goto "C:\windows\system32\config"
Rename the file called "SAM" to "SAM1"
Now, copy the SAM file from "D:\windows\repair" to c:\windows\system32\config. This file contains the password of your Windows XP (D: drive installation).

Good Luck, and like the bloke in the quote... I accept no responsibility for their use