CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 28, 2003, 02:10 PM

Default Monitor Refresh Rate /System BIOS

sponsored links

I have done a Sisoft Sandra system check for tips on system performance and under my graphics card it gives me these two tips.

Tip 319 : NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X : A refresh rate of at least 75Hz is recommended. Increase it if possible.
Tip 323 : NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X : Remove the desktop wallpaper to save memory and improve performance.
Finished Successfully : Yes

Ok now I have removed the wallpaper but the refresh rate I am concerned about. The Monitor has a drop down list that goes to 80 Hz, however it says if I remove the checkbox it can cause problems. It is set at 60 default, should I bump it to 75?.

Also it says this about my Bios

SiSoftware Sandra

Mainboard Information
****ysing...
Power / Aux Temperature : 64.0C / 147.2F
Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Tip 2511 : Some memory slots are free so the memory can be easily upgraded.
Warning 2545 : Large memory modules should be Registered/Buffered.
Warning 2518 : Mainboard temperature is too high.
Finished Successfully : Yes

How do I upgrade my bios? and would this help performance at all? is this a dangerous thing to do upgrading BIOS? the temparature I can just buy some cooling fans for but any suggestions about the BIOS and Grahpics tips?

Thanks
Old May 28, 2003, 02:18 PM

Assuming your monitor is fairly new (less than 3yrs old) a refresh rate of 72-75 is normal and preferred by most people.
Less than that i.e 60Hz can cause eye strain if used for any length of time.

I wouldnt worry about your temperature issues, Sandra is quite often wrong when it diagnoses tempratures.
Your best bet is to use monitoring software designed for your mainboard, have a look on your mainboard driver disk for some software to do this.

I wouldnt worry about updating your BIOS. You should only do this if you KNOW it will cure a problem or give you more functionality. If you get it wrong, you will toast your mainboard.
Old May 28, 2003, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I have set the Monitor to 75, I hope this will be OK even though I notice no difference. I have 3 system fans I am thinking of adding. The BIOS I wont be bothering with and I have took of the wallpaper however I shall be buying a 256 RAM stick taking the memory up to 512 RAM but for this I need to remove the 128 stick that's in there as the board only has 2 memory banks.

I am more of a gamer myself, which is why I am looking for the cheapest possible ways to get most out of this system, By upgrading the memory to 512 do you think it will give me a better performance in games?

Thanks in advance

Lee
Old May 28, 2003, 02:37 PM
Veteran

Yes adding more memory will also improve the system performance as well as stability while using resource demanding packages... here for you games.
Old May 28, 2003, 02:49 PM
Veteran

I am in agreement with both posts from Penquin and MM, refresh rate on average is normally about 75Mhz, Sandra is also a bit funny with regards to Temps as well. Adding more memory as MM said is a good call, it will improve the sys performance, especially if you playing games that have a demanding pull on you system As for flashing the Bios, here in work we dont really tend to do it unless it is an absolute MUST to eradicate a well known issue, the 1st or 2nd revs are normally still sufficient for carry on with general usage

Last edited by gooner; May 28, 2003 at 02:52 PM.
Old May 28, 2003, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the help guys, the Memory will be my next purchase, the board says it can hold up to 1 Gig of memory so I may buy a 512 stick to go with 256, once again thanks a lot much appreciated