CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 11, 2002, 11:55 AM

Unhappy Yamaha 2100E and Windows 2000 = Problem [; ; win2KPro]

sponsored links

Hello

I have a Yamaha 2100E internal IDE CDRW and am using Windows 2000. So far I have not been able to get this damn writer to work properly. When I say properly I mean to write at what it is supposedly capable of - 16x. According to one of the many Yamaha support sites this drive is known to lock up Win2K when the IDE channel transfer mode is set to DMA. They therefore suggest setting the transfer mode to PIO. HOWEVER - when set to PIO this drive will only record at upto 8x - far off the *supposed* write times of 16x.

I doubt the problem has anything to do with my system *directly* since it certainly is fast enough:

Athlon 1333mhz 266FSB
EPOX 8KTA3+ mainboard
512mb PC133 RAM from crucial.com
IBM Deskstar 60GXP harddrive

I have an upgraded BIOS, the latest Yamaha firmware, and the latest VIA 4in1 drivers.

If anyone has any ideas how I can get this thing to work I would REALLY appreciate hearing from you - likewise if anyone has had similar experience with this drive please let me know...

Thanks....oNe LoVe...ouTTie<<<---------------------------
Old Jan 11, 2002, 05:07 PM
Veteran

Just for reference, I run a PC at home, has a 2100E and 3xIBM 40GB Deskstar, on a K7T Turbo RAID, Win2000 , VIA 4in1-435, DMA on , burns 16x everytime, never a problem.

I know Yamaha do advice peopl eto use PIO, but never worked for me.
Old Jan 17, 2002, 01:02 PM

Thanks Duffy. I have posted the same question on a couple of other forums and most of the users who have replied also have problems, on similar systems. I wonder what it is that you are doing right? I have tried several Cd buring software but all exhibit the same problems, i.e. only work when in PIO mode and only at the lower speeds. My system is certainly fast enough as I can quite happily edit huge video files.

If you have any sugestions I would really appreciate hearing them....

Cheers! Casper
Old Jan 17, 2002, 08:23 PM
Veteran

I have a problem as well...
I can not write at 16x, neither could I when I had a P3 450...

I COULD write at 16x some weeks ago, for a period of 10 days or so. But then it just stopped working at 16x...
I don't remember if I used a different set up, but I've used every possible combination I could come up with, but nothing.....