CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 31, 2003, 03:22 PM
Veteran

Default Comp is really slow after making a 4gb iso image file.

sponsored links

Ok this is very strange and its the second time this has happened. I'm using Win XP Pro and I was doing a ton of things, had Winamp open listening to music, unraring, downloading 5 things using bittorrent, on usenet downloading files, and also making a iso image that was 4gb large. I noticed my comp became very slow while I was doing all these things. Sound started to break up with Winamp, mouse cursor started to appear jerky and the comp was just generally slow.
So ok, I thought I better close a few things and stop doing so many tasks simultaneously. The problem is even after several reboots the comp seems to be still very slow! its like all the tasks I was doing before has affected it permanently and made it slow or something!
I have a 2.4cpu 512mb ddr ram so its not a slow comp and I have done loads of tasks all at once before. But this is the second time this has happened in the last few months. Now it takes longer for Windows XP Pro to boot up and everything is slow when it eventually loads. Like unraring, zipping opening files etc is much slower than it should be. Mouse cursor is jerky too and these things happen when I'm not even doing anything else!
Like I said it started happening on both occassions when I was creating a 4gb iso image file while doing a number of other things. So what the hecks the problem thats making it go like this for good? Last time I had to reinstall Windows from scratch. Cant believe this happened again.
I deleted that 4gb iso after and its still slow.

Last edited by OmegaX; Dec 31, 2003 at 03:34 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 03:40 PM
Veteran

Well, I would suggest a defrag for a start. Doin all that will fragment your disk slowing down access times.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 04:46 PM

be sure to delete any temp files too. theres a possibility all that stuff is still on you drive, just in temp files that didnt get deleted.