CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Audio CDs & MP3
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 19, 2002, 11:18 PM

Question Is there Soft/Hardware to convert CD Player to play MP3s?Any views welcome:

sponsored links

It may not be possible, but is there anyway to convert an audio cd player so it will play MP3,s?...........LMK
[email]joe@soap3.freeserve.co.uk[/email]

Last edited by joesoap3; Jan 20, 2002 at 04:54 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2002, 11:29 PM
suspended

No, sorry but there isn't.
Old Jan 19, 2002, 11:59 PM

Ok Is there any interface to extrack and control a PC CD rom.(can you link it to a handheld PC)
What I want to do is be able to play MP3s and as I see it at present, the only choices are either the walkman type player or the dvd vcd mp3 players.
Ideally if I could have used a hardware product along with the various players I have, all would have been good, but as that is not an option, I wonder if anyone has views on how to make your own MP3 player. LMK
[email]joe@soap3.freeserve.co.uk[/email]

Last edited by joesoap3; Jan 20, 2002 at 11:47 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2002, 08:14 PM
suspended

Well someone had to make the first MP3 player so in theory you could rig one up but is it really worth the effort?. If you really want one then bite the bullet and buy a 'ready made' one.

Surely a small 'discman' would be much easier to cart around & use than rigging a power supply & connecting a CDROM to a handheld , gee the CDROM would be bigger than the whole 'palm pilot' not to mention the bulk & weight of a power supply.
Hmm maybe a voltage converter and a car battery would work, then all you need is a strong back pack to cart it all around in
Old Jan 20, 2002, 11:44 PM

Thanks I suppose I asked for that sort of opinion.
Heres my scenario I'm a DJ with loads of Dual CD players. To change to MP3 The choices are as above use a walkman (the one I have has no display for artist,track etc) or use a dvd/vcd/mp3 player ( which means a lot of money) I know in the future there will be dual mp3 players but for now I thought someone in the forum might know of a way to convert a PC cd rom ( which you can buy for 30.00) to play mp3's
Old Jan 21, 2002, 12:09 AM
suspended

I'm just trying to say that you would face some big hurdles trying to get it working. The CDROM doesn't interpret the MP3s, it just reads the data, you need a CPU to run the Codec required to uncompress the MP3 and then output commands to the soundcard to play the track.

A CD player that plays audio tracks is specially built to interpret the audiosignals encoded to the disc, commercial MP3 players (ie the walkman type portable MP3 player) have their own custom opperating system running including the required MP3 codecs.
A CDROM on the other hand is just once piece of hardware that forms a part of the whole software & hardware package required to 'play' an MP3.

It's sort of like taking a few components from a laptop and trying to make a handheld PC from it. Companies like Palm have spent years and millions of dollars in converting, miniturising, programming & testing their new product (ie the Pilot), something not easily replicated in the back yard laboratory.

Last edited by Darkman; Jan 21, 2002 at 12:13 AM.