CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Audio CDs & MP3
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 21, 2002, 12:39 AM

sponsored links

Thanks for the info M8. I didnt understand the concept but I do now. BTW I just found a site that makes what I'm looking for
***********.carplayer.com/
If it's of any interest to anyone with the same query as me.
Cheers
Old Jan 21, 2002, 08:33 PM
suspended

Cool

Hey M8 I wasn't trying to be to harsh about your idea, it would be an interesting project. The quote from that 'build your own MP3 player' tutorial sums it up for me "Basically you will be building a small computer for your car. "

One point to note that these people 'forget' to mention, commercially made car MP3 players are built to be shock resistant, CDROMs are not shock tolerant and don't like being bumped around , after all they are built to be used on a nice solid non-moving desk!.

Unless somehow these plans also include a 10 second read-ahead buffer I wouldn't guarantee that it would be any good except for when the car is stationary.

Good luck with the project, it should keep you amused for a while.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 10:19 PM
Veteran

I don't think shock would be the problem, since as I understand it this isn't actually for a Car CD player but for a DJ setup.

Darkman is correct though, in addition to a reader you need the components to interpret what is being th read. In CD-ROms there is actaully a built in Audio CD player to do this, which is why you can plug headphones into the CD-ROM and don't have to even transfer the audio data to the PC soundcard. The PC is used just as a control mechanism.

MP3/CD players have similar additional circuitry to read and decode MP3 data. This is contained on additional chip(s) within the MP3 player. If you have a way to install these chips in a regular CD player, you will still need the CD drive control mechanism. Although it would be possible, no doubt as Darkman stated it will be easier to purchase a cheap CD/MP3 deck in the future than to design and build one yourself. When a manaufacturer produces one, they will be able to recoup their R&D costs from the sale of thousands of units.