CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 09, 2003, 02:04 PM

Default Something else to check when u think the laser is shot

sponsored links

i had a v4 with what sounded like a pulsating laser
when i tried to boot anything the disc would spin slowly and i could see the laser flash the red light as it should when it starts up
but then the laser made funny sounds like it was sputtering instead of the steady reading noise im used to hearing
cleaned the lense several times and even separated the top part of the laser from the bottom so i could clean the under side of the lense and the bigger lense underneath
nothing worked
until i took the black casing off of the top side of the laser (it just) pops off if u carefully pry where it conects to the laser assembly
underneath this u will see 4 very fine copper wires that are stretched out and connected to 4 different parts of the laser assembly
they are suspended in some sort of soft glue or jelly at one end and they all appeared to be attached from what i could see
but then i started up the ps2 with the black cover off of the laser assembly and watched as the laser eye moved up into reading position
this causes the little copper wires to exted with the laser assembly and the gel they are supended in stops them from touching one another
but i could now see that one of the top wire was broken off at the laser eye connection end and when the eye went into position the broken wire would contact the lower wire and i'm guessing that is why i heard the laser sputtering
there wasnt much let where it broke off for me to solder to but i managed after several attempts to get the wire reattached
u have to be very careful soldering inside the laser assembly but it can be done easily if u are careful
one other thing to watch for if u are attempting this fix is that u keep the laser eye level when u resolder the wire because the first time i connected it i could see that the eye was tilted ine way and of course this stopped the laser from reading properly
hope this helps somebody out there with a "bad" laser
i know i just saved $100 by digging a little deeper than i usually would

now for the other problem with this machine
everything boots fine now but the color is greyish
or i suppose u could call it black and white
i have checked all ribbon cables inside and they are all connected properly and its not my A/V cables cause i have already tried another set

if anyone has fixed a no color problem on their ps2 pls let me know what u did to fix it
thx