CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 23, 2002, 03:02 PM
Veteran

Unhappy Can't get a Flash chip to work, but OTP's work fine

sponsored links

I spent 2 days installing a custom PLCC socket on the back of my Xbox. I also put some jumper headers by the socket to switch pin 31 from either pin 32 or pin 16 (to select either Flash chip or OTP respectively). The socket and jumpers were put on perf-board and mounted on the back of the XBox in that little cove between the A/V and Ethernet ports. A hole was drilled through the back of the XBox and through the metal shield for the wires to get to the Mobo.

I got everything done, set the jumper for flash chip and put my flash chip in the socket. [The flash chip(STMicro m29F040-70) is 512k and was programmed with the upper half of the Xtender v1.1 code(the file was split with windows commander)]. I fired it up and the green light goes on then it beeps and shuts down. It does this once more and then does the green/red flashing thing. I switched the jumper and got the same thing.

I thought maybe there was a problem with one of my wires, but since I hot glued everything to the board I really didn't want to open it back up.

I decided to program one of the OTP's(STMicro m27C2001-70[256k]) with the last quarter of the 1.1 code and try that before I go pulling the whole thing apart. I set the jumper, put the chip in and fired it up....everything worked perfect. Originals and the 2 backups I have work fine.

BTW, the backups were burned @ 8x on Memorex 24x cd-r's and they always boot on the first try. It looks like XBox is gonna inherit the "Media Myth" from the PS/PS2 loyalists.

I re-flashed the flash chip only using the quarter code but still nothing. Does anyone know why it won't work?? Does Pin 1(no connection[MSb address line]) have anything to do with this since it is a bigger chip??

Thanks for any help,
barracuda
Old Jun 23, 2002, 04:54 PM
Veteran

Don't you have to put all 4 parts on the flashchip, it is duplicated 3 times as the original is only 128k, someone said this info somewhere but can't remember where? That way it is a direct copy of the onboard X-Box bios code

andyw
Old Jun 23, 2002, 08:30 PM
Veteran

The original bios is 256k but there are 3 extra copies on the chip.

The flash chips I am trying to use are 512k. I tried using the upper 512k from the v1.1 code split in half and also the upper 256k from the v1.1 code split in 4 (I assumed the other 256k wouldn't be needed since it should be hard-wired to use the lower half of my chip).

Maybe I should use 256k Flash chips only.
Old Jun 23, 2002, 09:05 PM
Veteran

i ma using a am29f040 90 pc . same as your flash but made by amd. on these chips have to have pin 1, 31, and 32 all linked together, as well as 22, 24, and 16 all linked together. you need to take the 4th quarter of the xtender release and double it to make a 512 file to fill the chip. only the 4th quarter of xtender is hacked.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 02:30 PM
Veteran

Thanks dcsurfer. But how would I double the upper quarter into 1 file? Can I just open it in notepad and cut & paste another copy to it? Can I use Windows Commander somehow?

Should it work if I just program the chip with the upper quarter, leaving the code in the first 256k of the chip and the other 256k blank?? Or does it have to be in the last 256k??

Maybe the upper half file will work with that address line(1) tied to 32(high). Looks like I'll have to wire another jumper block on there somehow.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 06:06 PM
Veteran

i have heard that a 256 bios will work on a 512 chip... i havent tried it personally... i used hex workshop to double the 4th quarter. heres what i did:

1.) split file into 4 256 chunks with hj split

2.) open the 4th quarter with hex workshop

3.) tick file, select all, then tick file, copy

4.) set cursor to next byte following the last

5.) tick file, paste

that sit, you now just save file and use that as your new bios and flash it to a chip.