CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 19, 2008, 12:14 PM

Question Trying to installl XP on new SATA drive

sponsored links

I have a friend/co-worker who has a DELL 310 where the main C drive has failed on her. She also has an extra 160GB SATA drive that contains all her music and photos. She got a new SATA drive (250GB) and is in the process of installing it now and putting XP back on.

I really only have experience with installing EIDE drives and not SATA drives, but I thought it would be just a matter of plugging it in and installing XP. She wants to make sure she doesn't mess up the extra 160GB SATA drive cause it has all her photos and music on it. She has e-mailed me with the following concerning trying to install XP on the new drive:

[B]I have the XP disc running and it is
asking me which partition to load XP on.

131070 MB disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi (MBR)
Unpartitioned space of 131069 MB
or

131070 MB disk 0 at Id 1 on bus 0 on atapi (MBR)
C:Partition1 (Data) (NTFS) 238473 MB (216434 MB free)

I chose the larger one of 238473 MB as I'm assuming this is the new
drive, but Windows says it cannot load on that choice because:

"Setup must write some startup files to the following disk:
131070 MB disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi (MBR)
However, this disk does not contain a Windows XP-compatible partition.
To continue installing Windows XP, return to the partition selection
screen and create a Windows XP-compatible partition on the disk
above."[/B]

I'm not familiar with this error message so I told her to first temporarily disconnect the 160GB drive so she doesn't accidently mess up the data on it. Anybody have any ideas on what this error message is referring to and how to correct it? Should she just followi its recommendations?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:09 PM
Veteran

I haven't had much exerience with SATA drives to date.

On motherboards there are usually 2 or more SATA data connectors, the drive that will contain the operating system will need to be connected to the first SATA connector, this will be connector 0 or 1 depending on the moboe's configuration.

More moboe's now auto detect SATA drives and dont need any install floppy discs asked for by the XP install.

At XP setup it will ask which drive to use, select the drive that is on the FIRST SATA port it looks like 0 in your friends case, you will then need to go through the create a partition (primary) and format it, like said it may be a good idea to disconnect the drive that has the data she wants to keep, untill XP is installed, reconnecting it once it has been.

colin.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 04:12 PM

Default Trying to installl XP on new SATA drive

First of all you need to make sure you have only the one drive you want to install windows xp on, then make sure that drive is blank (unformatted) then put the windows disc in the optical drive and boot-up your machine (PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD...) hit return, if windows complains it car'nt find your SATA drive you'll need the SATA controller drivers. Which you''ll need to download from DELL. If you get stuck PM me.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:23 PM

sir you need to remove first the OS that presently running to you HDD

For example, the current OS that running was at the drive C:

you need to delete first that partition then after deleting you may now install your XP to the Drive...