CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 21, 2004, 03:40 PM

Default Problems erasing 8cm cd-rw [Freecom; FS-1 (USB-2); win2KPro]

sponsored links

I have a Freecom FS-1 USB-2 CD-Writer working on a Windows 2000 machine.

When I try to write and erase 700MB CD-RW discs (from Sony) it works fine (both quick and full erase). Recently I bought a few Memorex 8cm 210MB cd-rw. The writer has no problems writing them but when I try to erase them I have a strange kind of problem.

I have the impression that the cd recording software thinks of the 210MB cd-rw as being a normal 700MB cd-rw for the estimated erase time is the same as with 700MB cd-rw. When the process of erasing (full erase) reaches somewhere around 30% it suddenly jumps to the end and finishes with success. The quick erase finishes OK and with no errors too.

However, in both cases I can still read the information that was written on the cd-rw before I tried to erase it. So, it appears that the erasing has in fact done nothing to the cd-rw.

I bought the same kind of 8cm cd-rw 210MB from Verbatim and they give exactly the same results. So, the problem is most probably not the vendor of the cd-rw.

I tried with Nero 5.5 and 6.3 and Easy CD 5 and 6, and guess what... the same problem.

Does anyone have any idea where this problem comes from?