CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 20, 2003, 07:41 PM
Veteran

Default serv-u ftp server help?

sponsored links

i am just trying to get a simple fpt server going. my question is you know when it asks for the domain ip address i enter the one given by my isp yer. the thing is i am on a networked machine can i set up a server from here or does it have to run on the main internet server, coz when i try and get it runnning it just wont work

eg if i try and access ftp://213.122.294.147/ (not mine by the way)

it just says server timed out

am i doing something wrong?

also it says if you dont know your ip address leave it blank and "use any availble ip address" is shown does that mean if i call my ftp server ftp.cdromguideblarblar.com it will direct to my ip address?

thanks any help would be great

P.S there is a server running in my house which i cannot play with (not mine) could it be a firewall blocking it?

thanks
Old Apr 20, 2003, 07:57 PM
Veteran

Firstly, check to make sure the IP for surfing is the same as your server IP. i.e. my m8 has Blue Yonder in the UK and he surfs under 1 IP and his FTP is another IP. A firewall could certainly be blocking others access to the server. btw, Win XP has a built-in firewall that many people aren't aware of. You may have to fiddle with the firewall a bit to fix the prob.

You can't simply name your FTP anything you'd like and have people be able tol connect to the name you specify. You CAN go somewhere like noip.com and register with them if you would rather than give out your real IP.

Good luck.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 08:01 PM
Veteran

thanks for the help so how do i find my ftp ip address is i have one (its bt here by the way, but this is just a test. finally it will be on ntl at uni)

how do a alter the xp firewall? (i dont think this is the problem though)

you have to unblock a port dont you eg 21?

i might just wait till i have my own network to mess with

thanks for the info any more is much appreciated
Old Apr 21, 2003, 12:07 AM
Veteran

well, first try the IP listed at www.whatsmyip.org and see if that one works for you. I would always recommend a port other than 21 or 1433 for running an FTP. Those are commonly scanned ports and you'll just get nailed by scanners all day long.

Not sure about the XP firewall as I don't use it ... friends told me about it. Could always be another firewall blocking access also. It could also be the router causing problems. i.e. LinkSys routers seem to cause a lot of grief for a lot of people trying to setup FTPs.

Last edited by 420; Apr 21, 2003 at 12:10 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 09:43 AM

Hello, I use Serv-U Professional for some time now and have had no prob's with it at all I love it actually. IT's pretty simple setting up an FTP Server w\really if you know just the basics. First note the IP address of your server. Then input that IP address into Serv-U where you said it asked you IP. Then if you are using a Router you have to make sure you open FTP server port or port forwarding if you want to get technical. I use port 2121 for now but soon switching again. You should now be able to setup a user acct in Serv-U and connect to your server VIA your browser also note that sometimes when inside your own network you can't use your hostname of your server like if you got one from noip.com you have to use your ip address instead IE: 192.168.0.22 or whatever your ip of your server is on your network. Hope this helps you man.