CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:47 PM

Default Suspect CPU fan ?? [Tiny; ???; winXP]

sponsored links

Recently my laptop has been making a whirring noise, and a particularly loud one at that. I presume it is the fan that is making this noise, as it sounds like some bearings are loose?? Today I had my laptop on for perhaps 90 minutes before the fan stopped, then a few minutes later the machine shut down without warning.
I tried to power up again and this time it never even got to the Windows Professional screen before shutting down, and i couldn't hear the fan spinning at all during this time.
With this in mind i have a few questions:

1.) Would using the laptop in a cooler enviroment enable it to stay booted longer? I ask as i presume the purpose of the fan is to keep the CPU / circuitry cool.

2.) The above is true, and in light of such if i placed an external mains operated fan close to the PC, would this solve the problem (temporarily at least until i took the unit to a shop to get fixed) ?

3.) What are the potential hazards of running a machine with a dodgy fan for an extended period of time, say 2 months ??

4.) Is changing the fan out an easy operation on a laptop, bearing in mind i have minimal PC building / reparing experience?

5.) Would it be advisable to change the heatsink also?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by meek_imp; Apr 16, 2003 at 12:32 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 01:03 AM
Veteran

1. yes

2. no

3.CPU frying

4.no

5.Good luck finding one

And another thing...This sounds more like a HD problem then a fan.

Old Apr 16, 2003, 01:37 AM
suspended

Nah, changing the fan on a laptop is not hard, you don't even need to replace the heatsink. The hard part is to find the right fan (right dimensions with comparable cfm) as laptop fans are small and tend to be model specific.