CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old May 25, 2003, 07:14 PM

Default Can use a toggle switch to turn off my second hard drive when it's not in use?

sponsored links

I'm going to put a second hard drive in mostly to backup my mp3 and picture files. I will also being using this drive to rip movies to and later burn on dvd-r. Now I was wondering, since I'm not going to use it much (Maybe once a week), and I don't have a removable drive bay, could I set it up so that I can hook up a switch that would turn the drive on and off so that I can decrease the wear & tear on the drive? I would like to prolong the life of the hard drive- and with the switch off, the head and internal parts will not have any unnecessary wear and my hard drive should last over 10+ years.

If I decide to do this and it is possible to do this, which wire should I use. I believe there are 4 wires and I'm thinking of either the red or black wire for the switch. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 25, 2003, 07:21 PM
Veteran

You could do it, but I wouldn't. A hard drive can die right away or last for years and years. Most hard drives will last for longer than you keep them, just check out Ebay, and you'll want a bigger one before it goes. In 10 years, whatever drive you have now will be way out of date, and so will the PC it's attached to. Think pre-win 95, and before gig hd's were out. You could always get a USB drive or USB ext. enclosure and unplug it, when not in use. I think that would be easier...........It's your drive, but thats my 2 cents............
Old May 25, 2003, 07:34 PM
Veteran

ide drives in ten years... i don't think so.

i've never done it but wouldn't windoze get confused? you might have to reboot every time you flick the switch.

get a double pole switch and switch both yellow and red wires. thats how i'd do it.
Old May 25, 2003, 08:14 PM
Veteran

When the drive isn't in use, it's not going to getting any real wear and tear anyway ... other than what you [i]can't[/i] stop just by flicking a switch. Keep in mind that the inside of a PC gets quite hot and even when that drive is off, it's going to be sitting in a hot case. If you have your OS set properly, you can stop the drive from spinning up when not is use and it's much easier than a switch ... and as littlejack said, Windows would likely get confused anyway.
Old May 25, 2003, 08:18 PM
Veteran

PATA drives do not support hot switching. If however you are talking about a SCSI or a SATA drive then it should work fine.

PATA drives aren't worth much anyway, so I wouldn't worry.
Old May 25, 2003, 09:03 PM

"If you have your OS set properly, you can stop the drive from spinning up when not is use and it's much easier than a switch "

How would I do this? I'm thinking about doing the above now or buying an enclosure case- but I don't think their worth $45.
Closed Thread