CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 08, 2003, 10:31 PM

Unhappy While installing programs, Windows takes a hard crash

sponsored links

First off, this is my first post. so, hi

Now to my delima. I recently bought a new game (medieval total war) and have run into a problem installing it that I have pretty much tracked down to my CDRW. While installing the game my system will take a hard crash. One minute its installing, the next, rebooting. I thought at first I had a bad disk but I have realized that crash is random and never happens on the same file. So I tried to install another game to just be sure (RTCW) its crashes again but not before I get an error message about something in my sys32 folder.. I figure it is drivers... so I reinstall the drivers....crash..hmmmm... what other file in that folder has todo with my CDROM? how do I replace it? Could it be something with the installer program? any this is my cd drive.
Sony CRX100e CD-RW

This error just stated happening and I cannot remember doing anything tweaky...

Any help would be greatly apprieciated
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:33 AM
suspended

I'm not sure what Operating System you're running. However try going to start/run (or the command prompt) and type in sfc /scannow. If you find a file that has been changed, restore it from the Operating System disc.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 03:46 AM
Veteran

Alternatively, remove your CD ROM from Device Manager and let Windows re-install after a re-boot.

Alternatively 2, you could try copying the contents of the CD (presuming it will let you) to your hard drive and try installing from there. This would rule out the CD ROM or even point to a problem with the CD itself.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 05:20 AM
Veteran

Try installing from another source other that a CD-RW, preferably a CD or DVD-ROM drive if you can. Should the same problem occur it could be a corrupted Windows installer.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:20 AM

Here is an update. I could not track down my problem. I went as far as (from what another help source told me) looking into my registry to see which files a certain key (man, i forgot already) loaded and then look for those files in my sys32 folder, if they were missing, replace them. Well, i couldn't find them on my WIN2K CD. So I just ended up reinstalling windows.... works like a charm now.... I guess just replace all the .dlls solved the problem.