CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 07, 2005, 02:11 PM

sponsored links

I just read somewhere that many rewritable disks work the first few times, but lose their ability to be written after time.

Maddhatter62
Old Feb 07, 2005, 06:19 PM

Red face

[COLOR=Purple]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddhatter62
I just read somewhere that many rewritable disks work the first few times, but lose their ability to be written after time.

Maddhatter62
Yeah I think you're right about that! I rewrote and erased two of my cd-rws more than once and afterwards they stopped working! I think that's where my troubles began. After they stopped working any other cd-rw that I would put in the drive stopped working. The drive would show up as empty even though there was a cd-rw in the drive. Can one cd-rw mess up other ones..in other words does the "one bad apple spoil the rest" quote apply?
Old Feb 07, 2005, 10:27 PM

Since your cdwriter IDE4824 still refuses to read CDRW disks, I'd say chances are better that it's a mechanical or software related problem. You may want to try Nero burning software, or something like it to be sure it's not a compatability problem with the XP built-in burning application.

You said you used Memorex CDRWs. I found this at:
***********.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/New_Users/Q_21193972.html
read the customer reviews at:
***********.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00005ICLP/102-9232213-4771302?_encoding=UTF8&me=A3LJ5WMKNRFKQS&s=electro nics

Another dissatisfied customer on an online forum:

[I][B]Avoid these Memorex CDRWs at ALL cost!

5 discs of my 10 pack were screwed! I was getting write errors in Nero.

I could write to the disc (a 700mb test file) with CloneCD but they were not readable.

I then Surface Scan tested them with Nero CD Speed and it showed 1 of them had 37% errors on the surface!
The other 4 were somewhat less screwed up, under 10% errors.

Even a full 2X erase made no difference. The dye is screwed.[/B][/I]

It could also be your ASPI layers. Check this thread:
***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-237695

Use apspichk to check your aspi layer version. The first thing to check is to make sure that you have a fully functional set of driver files. Adaptec has produced a tool called ASPICHK which will tell you all about the health and version numbers of the drivers on your system.

ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspichk.exe

If you need new ASPI layers:

********club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101614

A lot of info...but just trying to make "educated" guesses.

Good Luck!

Maddhatter62

Last edited by maddhatter62; Feb 08, 2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2005, 05:01 PM

Smile aspi layers causing problems

[B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddhatter62
It could also be your ASPI layers. Check this thread:
***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-237695

Use apspichk to check your aspi layer version. The first thing to check is to make sure that you have a fully functional set of driver files. Adaptec has produced a tool called ASPICHK which will tell you all about the health and version numbers of the drivers on your system.

Good Luck!

Maddhatter62
I don't know if my cd drive problem has been solved yet but you did solve a problem that I didn't even know I had: aspi layers! My ASPI layers (whatever they are) seemed to be out of date. Thanks! I followed the directions from cd club freaks (I don't know how much you know about spyware but the cookies that they have are spyware cookies) and now my aspi layers are okay. Does out of date layers cause problems with the reading of certain cd discs?
[/B]
Old Feb 08, 2005, 05:11 PM

Question

[B]You mentioned before that I should make sure that there is not a compatability problem with the XP built-in burning application: What are some other ways to figure out if there are in fact compatability problems with my burning application? [/B]
Old Feb 08, 2005, 07:22 PM

Yeah, I know that cd club freaks cookies show up as spyware...but Spy Sweeper nukes them.

XP isn't supposed to need ASPI layers, but I've found that my burners work better with them. Some people running XP [B]DO[/B] have problems with ASPI layers, though. Out of date layers can affect burner performance.

Have you tried another burn with the XP built-in software?

Have you tried to download & install the Nero free trial?

***********.nero.com/us/index.html

I'd be interested to hear about the results.

Maddhatter62