CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 01, 2003, 05:09 PM

Default NTSC on PAL machine vs. PAL on NTSC machine... HELP!!!

sponsored links

Hi guys, bear with me while I try to explain my problem here.

I currently use a PAL PS2 with a flip top lid and Swap Magic v2. For PSX games I boot with the second disc of AR2 V2. My TV is fully NTSC compatible.

Until recently the only problem I have had is that NTSC PSX imports don't display properly. The screen is basically shifted up too far by about a third, so I'm looking at a big blank space and can't see the top of the screen. Also the Konami DDR games (3rd, 4th and 5th mix) play at the wrong speed. All PS2 titles work without a hitch though.

No problem, I just continue to use my old PSX for NTSC games, with a speed-fixing game shark code applied to the DDRs.

But I got a new problem this week, when my highly anticipated copy of Soul Calibur 2 dropped through the letter box. Swap Magic can't handle it.

I've got a number of options -

1. wait for the next version of Swap Magic (pie in the sky, it may not help)
2. sell my Japanese copy and wait for the UK release of SC2 (no thanks!)
3. Get a mod-chip fitted to my PS2
4. Buy a Japanese machine

What I want to know is... if I chip my current PS2 is it still going to have the problems with PSX software, and DDR in particular? I'm quite reluctant anyway as I think it will cause me problems when online gaming takes off.

If I get a Japanese machine, I would ideally want to get that chipped so I don't have to have two consoles and swap cables etc. But will a chipped NTSC machine handle my PAL games alright?

(the reason I ask is that I have experience of trying to play PAL games on an NTSC Dreamcast, and it suffered from the same screenshift that I described above - Skies of Arcadia being the notable offender)

I think that about covers all my confusion. Apart from one thing - where the hell can you buy a Japanese PS2 in the UK anyway? All the websites only seem to have the Ltd editions! (and I wouldn't want to chip one of those!)
Old Apr 01, 2003, 05:14 PM

P.S. Another option - I would quite happily switch my flip-top lid onto a Japanese machine and get some Japanese Swap Magic discs... but is there a Japanese equivalent of AR2/Gameshark for booting PSX games?
Old Apr 02, 2003, 03:12 AM

bump, somebody here must know the answers to this stuff!
Old Apr 02, 2003, 03:26 AM

even if you use a messiah chip.
- gives you full screen for NTSC psx games.

There might still be a little timing problem in games such as DDR for the PSX
Old Apr 02, 2003, 04:07 AM

Thanks Snoopy,

So if I want to be sure I won't get a timing problem, I should chip an NTSC machine...

but will that be able to display PAL games without a problem (of either PS format)?
Old Apr 03, 2003, 10:46 PM

I guess ur theory sort of holds.

But I am not sure myself.

I think the timing problem only affects psx games.

while ps2 games will output ntsc or pal depending on game and with no timing problem