CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 31, 2002, 03:05 PM
Veteran

Unhappy Whats the problem here? [HP; 523n; winXP]

sponsored links

Ok I just bought this computer. With my previous computer, I had windows 95. Roadrunner came an installed a CNET Pro 200 adapter card that enabled me to use roadrunner. It worked fine for a good while, then I think I came across a virus (didnt have a virus tool). I tried going to a backup, didnt work. I tried the product recovery that came with the computer, that SEEMED to work. Only problem was, I could no longer log on to the internet because windows would never configure an IP for the card. I would get an DHCP error. Roadrunner techs came back and installed a new modem. After about an hour of errors (after that), they finally got an IP in. They left and it worked fine for a while. I then wanted to see if the IP coudl be released and renewed. Needless to say when I released it, it would never renew.

I thought it was the computer so I went and bought another one. This computer came with a network card. I plugged it in and got right on the internet, browsing away (and fast). All of a sudden, it seems the speed just flat out died. And thats where I am sitting now. Everytime I get on the internet, the speed is fine for like the first 10-15 minutes, then it gets worse than dial up speed. The IP is still there so Im unsure what the problem is. WINMX loses connection, Kazaa slows down to 0.35 kbps sometimes and mIRC disconnects me... Im not sure what the problem is here. Any ideas? THe network card is a RealTEK RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC.
Old Oct 31, 2002, 06:04 PM
Veteran

WINMX,Kazaa and mIRC running at same_time?
Old Oct 31, 2002, 07:13 PM
Veteran

It can be either. All running at once, or simply one running. I am on IE only right now, only other things running on my computer are Sound volume control, Norton antivirus auto-protect, and hp deskjet 3820 series.

My download on Kazaa (before I logged off) started at around 4 kbps, and then dropped to "remotely queued" which I beileve it generally caused by your connection dropping too much. I have called the roadrunner place many times and they send out the cable man. I send him away (he comes in a tests the signal, thats it) and call back saying I need the comp tech. Last time they sent a sorry *** person (he was here with the previous computer anyhow) and today they are supposed to send out a line tech. But it doesnt look like he's coming. I'm just trying to make sure there are no specs on the computer itself that is causing the problem. If its a problem with the lines/roadrunner company, I'm going to tell them to cancel the account because I have been trying to get this fixed for two weeks now (6 days on the current computer).
Old Oct 31, 2002, 07:29 PM
suspended

Provided you have a good firewall installed try disabling the anti-virus software. You can always scan the files you've downloaded before using them. I have heard of problems due to the anti-virus scanning everything coming down from the web, thus slowing it all down.

Also test your ping rates. Ping your ISP's home page and then a couple of other major sites. A fast response from the ISP page & slow from 'outside' sites would indicate the problem is with your ISP and not your PC.
Old Nov 01, 2002, 05:49 AM
Veteran

Try PCMedik Demo its a tool that modify your computers' settings to increase performance

***********.pgware.com/products-pcmedik.html
Old Nov 01, 2002, 04:34 PM
Veteran

Hey all! I believe the situation is finally solved. It appears that one of the boxes on the telephone pole (but used for cable purposes) had some damage caused by rain water. The rain had gotten into the box. The guy replaced that and I've been on browsing fast for at least an hour, so it seems to be fixed! Thank god! Compare the roadrunner with a fast computer and I'm stunned (keep in mind I had roadrunner with a 200 mhz before, now I have it on a 1.8 GHZ....wow)