CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 09, 2004, 07:38 AM

Default new dual layer dvd+r discs out soon

sponsored links

Verbatim has announced that "it is on schedule to deliver industry's first Double-Layer DVD+R (DVD+R DL) discs". The first 8.5 GB DVD+R9 media should ship this spring and will be 2.4x speed discs according to Verbatim.

The first recording layer of the Verbatim DVD+R DL disc is semi-transparent, providing enough reflectivity for writing/reading data on the first layer, yet transmitting enough laser power to read/write on the second layer by refocusing the laser.

In addition to optimizing layer reflectivity, new Metal Azo recording dyes were developed by MKM for each layer to optimize parameters such as signal amplitudes and power margins and ensure full compatibility with current DVD standards.

"Compatibility was a top priority in developing our Double-Layer media," said Tim Clatterbuck, Verbatim Director of Optical Storage Marketing. "Content developers will be among the first to make the switch to Double-Layer technology because multimedia and video files require so much capacity. They can increase their productivity with the 8.5GB DVD+R media without worrying about playback compatibility. It will be the same as their 4.7GB discs, just more capacity."

BenQ/Philips and Sony have been rumored to launch dual layer burners as early as in April so hopefully we will be able to burn DVD+R9 discs before the summer.
Old Jan 09, 2004, 08:38 AM
Veteran

Thanks dude, I looking forward to spending a lot of money on these. I just hope they dont have many compatabilty issues.
Old Jan 09, 2004, 10:27 AM

not worth it yet.unless they bring out faster writing speeds.
Old Jan 09, 2004, 10:34 AM
Veteran

2.4x would be an hour if I am correct. That would bhe fine for me. Have noticed what the prices will be for burner and blanks?
Old Jan 09, 2004, 10:40 AM
Veteran

Dual blanks=$$$
Old Jan 09, 2004, 06:41 PM

Who cares if they are expensive when they come out. How much were DVD-R's when they came out? I remember each DVD-R use to cost $20 at first, now they are as low as $0.60 each. And also the DVD burners were around $800 now they are about $100.