CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 16, 2002, 01:43 PM
Veteran

Default Port scans ?

sponsored links

Hi,

I have recently installed norton internet security, and it has told me about an attempt to access my pc, that got me thinking, how is it done ?

Is there software out there which, for example, searches for machines without firewalls, and with "file sharing " active ? so that the user can get files from peoples machines ?

Or is it much, much harder than that ??

Ta
Old May 18, 2002, 01:44 AM

No in fact it is quite easy. There are many freeware programs availble to download that can perform port scans. If somone does this on a windows pc that is not protected by a firewall and may have file/print sharing turned on, then there is a good chance that machine will get hacked and taken over. A good firewall is a must if you have a highspeed (broadband) connection to the internet.

canuck_guy
Old May 24, 2002, 02:26 PM

Also a trojan can be used and so your computer is then on remote control.