CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 31, 2002, 08:21 PM

Default Help with a virus problem....Please

sponsored links

Well, somehow I became the caretaker of my aunts computer. It is a compaq running win 98, thats about all I now about it right now. She managed to catch a virus w32/klex.h@mm to be exact.
Here is my problem, a while back the keyboard port on the back of the computer was damaged and doesn't work. She plugged in an USB keyboard and kept going. Here is the problem, I cant boot into safe mode, or dos, and use the keyboard to delete the virus' .exe. It loads from the registry. I have deleted the key, but the little bugger puts it back in when the 'puter shuts down, so its up and running on reboot.

I can get into the bios, but can't navigate to see if the bios has usb support. I'm not sure if there is even such a thing as usb support in dos.

I'm not a very bright man, and am out of ideas, and could really use some help. Is there a way to manually shut down the virus.exe from windows?
Three finger salute dosn't work, the exe doesn't show there. I know its running because it show under the running tasks in the msinfo32.
Thanks for any suggestions
Old Jun 01, 2002, 08:32 AM

Have a look here - all sorts of downloads and suggestions

********securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

********koreworks.com/htm/singlevirus.html
Old Jun 01, 2002, 10:52 AM

Thanks kasimir, but I should have mentioned, I have already tried a couple of removal tools. They can't remove the virus, because I can't get the computer into safe mode.
Old Jun 04, 2002, 02:18 PM

I'm nearly stumped on this - can only suggest a couple of things. Try putting the keyboard in the mouse port, presuming they're both PS2 type connections - I've known this to work in days of yore. The other is to visit a computer fair, or if you know someone with a long history of computer tinkering who never throws anything away, you might pick up an expansion card with extra PS2 ports on it. As a last resort it's a format and software rebuild!!

Last edited by kasimir the great; Jun 04, 2002 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2002, 02:24 PM

Before I'm finally stumped, have you tried all these methods of starting in safe mode?

Have a go....

To restart Windows 98 or Windows Me in Safe Mode:
1. Restart the computer.
2. During restart, hold down the Ctrl key until the Windows 98 startup menu appears.
3. Choose Safe Mode from the startup menu, and then press Enter. Windows starts in Safe Mode.

Alternative method to start Windows 98/Me in Safe Mode:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type msconfig and then click OK.
3. Click Advanced, and check Enable Startup Menu.
4. Click OK, and then click OK again. Click Yes when you are prompted to restart Windows. Windows restarts and displays the Windows Startup Menu.
5. At the Windows Startup Menu, press 3 for Safe Mode, and then press Enter. Windows will restart in Safe Mode.
6. To restore your system to normal settings, follow steps 1 through 4 and uncheck Enable Startup Menu.
7. Restart the computer.

If all else fails:
1. Insert a nonbootable floppy disk into your disk drive.
2. Restart the computer. You will see an error message similar to, "Non-System Disk, please replace the disk and press any key."
3. Eject the floppy disk and start tapping the F8 key repeatedly until you see the Windows Startup Menu.
4. Using the cursor keys, scroll down to Safe Mode, and then press Enter.
Old Jun 04, 2002, 02:54 PM

kasimir. Thanks for all you efforts!!. I am able to get to boot menu, but the usb keyboard won't work. I guess the usb drivers haven't loaded at that point. So I can't choose the safe mode boot.

I have fixed the problem. My DOS is really rusty, and was never that good, but I managed to make a bootdisk and added some lines to the autoexec.bat that changed the virus' attributes, and then delete it.
Again, I want to thank you for your efforts. It is appreciated.