CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 09, 2002, 10:17 AM
Default Warning New Virus!!!!

sponsored links

H all I just received an email from pirate1 / steve it said:

"I found the virus in my work pc so you had better check yours.

Subject: Virus Notification
We have just received a message from one of our contacts to say that
address book has been infected by a virus called jdbgmgr.exe which
apparently not detected by Norton or Mc Afee.

The virus stays quiet for 14 days before damaging the system.

It is sent automatically by the messenger and by the address book,
or not you sent e-mails to your contacts.

We found the virus on our C: drive, and deleted it.

These are the instructions.

1. Go to Start menu; click the Find or Search option
2. In the files/folder option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C: drive
4. Click 'find now'.
5. The virus has a little bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT
6. Right click it and delete it (it will go to your Recycle bin)
7. Go to the Recycle bin and delete it there as well, or empty the

I found it on my PC I dont know if its done any damage but I thought I'd let u guys Know as well.
Old May 09, 2002, 10:47 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post the info, but there is nothing to worry about. The virus is a hoax. Read [URL=***********][b]this article[/b] from Newsbytes.

Here is a quote from the Newsbytes article -

A virus warning is making the rounds urging people to search for a purported virus on their hard drives - a file named JDBGMGR.EXE. Chances are, they will find it, because the "warning" is a hoax.
According to several anti-virus companies, the hoax first appeared in April, but two new variants of the message have been spotted in the last three days.

The bogus warning takes several forms, but in general it tells people they have received a dangerous, undetectable virus via e-mail that must be found and deleted from their "C" drives. Some variants claim the "virus" hibernates for 14 days before awakening and causing damage to their computers.

Anti-virus companies have identified French, Spanish, Italian and German versions of the English warnings.

In reality, JDBGMGR.EXE is a standard Windows component. According to anti-virus company F-Secure, it is uses as a Java debugger manager in a Microsoft Java runtime engine.

"We checked several versions of this utility from Windows installations and found nothing malicious in them," F-Secure wrote in its warning about the hoax.
Like I said, thanks for posting the info, but that file is completely harmless.

Old May 10, 2002, 01:54 AM

Yes, the same email has been going round recently.

Bit obvious as the way to rid your system of a virus and the damage it's done is not just to delete it