CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 15, 2003, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Default how do i disable windows password at startup

sponsored links

help, my sis phoned me to ask how to do this, she's got win 98 and when she switches on her computer it asks for a password, she's got the password but just wants to stop it asking for it.. i've got xp so i couldn't find the answer on my pc ( not too bright at this pc stuff ). any help would be appreciated. thanks.
jimmy

ps how do i get the email button on the top of my posts next to my profile ect on here & bst.

Last edited by jimmy mumu; Oct 15, 2003 at 02:28 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 03:06 PM
Veteran

Jimmy
Goto the Control Panel, under Network, remove Clients for Microsoft Network should do the trick.

HTH
Old Oct 15, 2003, 03:08 PM
Veteran

Hi jimmy mumu,

couple of ways i can think of.

1. go into control panel/network and change the primary logon to windows logon and click ok, then reboot.

2. do a search for *.pwl on the hard drive and delete the file most recently used - this will delete the password. Then reboot and it will ask you for a new password at bootup. Don't use a password and click ok.

Both ways should work

HTH, T.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 06:19 PM
Veteran

thanx peeps
Old Oct 15, 2003, 07:37 PM
Veteran

Default Re: how do i disable windows password at startup

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by jimmy mumu [/i]
[B]....when she switches on her computer it asks for a password, ..... [/B]
When exactly does this happen. Soon after turning on the computer or after she sees the Windows 98 logo? Someone may have messed around in the BIOS and set a password there. If that is the case she will need to reset the CMOS settings by either moving a jumper on the motherboard or removing the BIOS battery. Consult the motherboard manual for info on How To Clear the CMOS.

If the problem occurs after the Windows 98 logon then follow the other advice posted here and do not mess with the BIOS.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 07:43 PM
Veteran

Default Re: how do i disable windows password at startup

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by jimmy mumu [/i]
[B] how do i get the email button on the top of my posts next to my profile ect on here & bst. [/B]
click on the wee button that says "user cp" at top of the page. Select "Edit options button". Enable the option to display your e-mail.