CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 01, 2002, 08:54 PM

Default Problem connecting drive

sponsored links

I just purchased a Memorex CD-RW 40X drive to add to my existing configuration that has a CD-DVD (ROM) drive. I am NOT replacing the existing CD-DVD drive, I'm adding the RW in an empty bay, but I'm having trouble installing the new CD-RW drive.

The current configuration has the hard drive set as MASTER on the PRIMARY channel, and the CD-DVD is set as MASTER on the SECONDARY channel. There are two separate flat cables.

The instruction sheet included with the new drive states that "the CD-RW drive MUST BE connected to the SECONDARY channel as the MASTER device. Your existing CD-ROM drive will then have to be reconnected as a SLAVE device on the same (secondary) channel". Their emphasis. The old drive would of course have to be jumpered to slave in this case. That is not stated, but it is obvious enough I guess.

I set up the drives as instructed, but my system would not boot! I did get the initial start up screen, (memory test etc) where I saw a message about "system configuration updated" but it went no further than that until I put everything back the way it initially was.

My confusion is because on the enclosed install CD, my configuration is listed as below in the readme text:

C) Hard-Disc connected as Master to Primary IDE Port,
CD-ROM connected as Master to Secondary IDE Port:
Connect the Memorex drive as Slave to Secondary IDE Port.

Existing PC Configuration:
MASTER / SLAVE
Primary Port Hard Drive n/a
Secondary Port CD-ROM n/a

PC Configuration after installation:
MASTER / SLAVE
Primary Port Hard Drive n/a
Secondary Port CD-ROM / Memorex

This is a direct contradiction!

So which is which? Is the CD-RW the master or the slave on the secondary channel? The only way I can get the cable to even REACH both devices (without physically swapping them in their bays or getting a longer cable) is with the CD-RW at the [master] end of the cable on the right, and the CD-ROM on the [slave] middle connector of the cable on the left, but again, as noted, my PC did NOT boot when set up like this!

My intuition is that this is indeed the correct config, but I'm not sure why it doesn't boot. I didn't change any of the other connections, btw, which might be a factor. These include what I assume is the power connector (multicolored) and another small modem-like connector that I assume goes to the sound card maybe? Should those have been moved to the new drive too?

My system is a Gateway G6-400, 256MB RAM, windows 98, Quantum Fireball EL hd, and an CD-DVD (ROM)/floppy drive combo. All connections are firmly in place, all jumpers were in their correct initial master positions. This is the first time I've ever tried to install a drive of any kind, and my first CD-RW, so please keep it simple

Can anyone point me in the right direction?? I don't wanna screw anything up by doing something drastic in my ignorance

TIA
elaine
Old Sep 02, 2002, 03:14 PM
Veteran

Try it as primary slave to your HDD should work ok, ignore the manual, usually its not wise to connect one legacy slow speed device like a cdrom together with another HDD on same channel as it can degrade integral performance but your 40X cdr-w isnt exactly slow speed, i know someone who has set up cdrw like this, burns at 40X no problem & performance is sound
Forgot to say, its best to put master at the end of cable & slave in between, you have to buy your own ribbons though, its amazing how no matter how much you spend on a mobo you get dwarf ribbons, unless you can mount HDD in a 5.25" bay above cdr-w

Last edited by C0UGAR UK; Sep 02, 2002 at 03:23 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2002, 04:05 PM

>Try it as primary slave to your HDD should work ok, ignore the manual,

Tried that too, using the HD as master and the new RW as slave on the same cable to the primary channel, but it couldn't find the CDRW. Not sure what I did wrong

>usually its not wise to connect one legacy slow speed device like a cdrom together with another HDD on same channel as it can degrade integral performance but your 40X cdr-w isnt exactly slow speed, i know someone who has set up cdrw like this, burns at 40X no problem

So even tho the instructions say to have both CDs on the same cable (differing on which one is master and which slave), you're suggesting putting the new one with the HDD instead? Just want to be sure I understood.

>Forgot to say, its best to put master at the end of cable & slave in between, you have to buy your own ribbons though, its amazing how no matter how much you spend on a mobo you get dwarf ribbons, unless you can mount HDD in a 5.25" bay above cdr-w

No, it actually fit fine that way, with the RW in the slave position to the HDD. Windows just could not find the RW at all, even tho I assume it's supposed to be plug 'n pray

elaine
Old Sep 07, 2002, 06:24 PM

FIXED IT! It's all working perfectly now, in nice sync with the "old" CD-DVD drive.

So what was the problem?

A bad cable! Sheesh! Talk about your simple solutions to a complex problem

Thanks to all who wrote!

Elaine