CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 05, 2002, 09:17 AM

Default WIin 98 computer only boots with win 95 boot disk

sponsored links

i have a Hp pavilion computer with windows 98 . I recently screwed everything up by deleting important files. I downloaded a boot disk for win 95(wasn't thinking right). The win 95 boot disk got me to where i wanted to be, since i know how to fix my computer, but it was loading win 95. But now i cant get my computer to load with a windows 98 boot disk. it says "invalid system disk, replace disk and then press any key." So how do i boot a win 98 boot disk? please help

Last edited by PS2Dude!!; Nov 05, 2002 at 12:40 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2002, 09:30 AM
Veteran

Are you sure the 98 boot disk IS actually a boot disc ? If you're trying to boot from a floppy and you get the 'invalid system disc' message, all that means to me is that the disc is either damaged or doesn't have boot files.

Re the initial problem, a boot disc is only a means of loading drivers for CD ROMs etc and getting you to a DOS prompt. The fact it's 95 or 98 shouldn't matter if all you're going to do is re-load the O/S or replace system files from a CD.
Old Nov 05, 2002, 09:35 AM
Veteran

You windows 98 boot disk is corrupted
Go here ***********.bootdisk.com and Download a bootdisk
Old Nov 05, 2002, 09:54 AM

thanx green blade. but i have another problem now. when i try to format and recover on the win recovery cd, it says "recover ran out of disk space while recovering files. Remove CD and press OK to reboot your computer." what should i do?
Old Nov 05, 2002, 10:04 AM
Veteran

If all you have done is deleted some system files, you might get away with booting to a DOS prompt and running win98 install or setup from the CD. This way, you shouldn't lose any data you have on the drive.

Otherwise, if the drive is unusable or you aren't bothered about losing data, I would boot with either a 95 or 98 boot disc and once at the DOS prompt run either format to wipe the drive or fdisk to delete the partition. Presuming the recovery CD is bootable, you can then boot from the CD, install from there, and you should be fine.
Old Nov 05, 2002, 11:20 AM

i've recovered the files, and formated it successfully, but when i turn my computer on without the win 95 boot disk it says "operating system not found." when i boot it with the win 95 boot disk it just takes me to the command prompt. i dont know what to do