CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:03 PM
Veteran

Question Moving applications to a new partition [; ; winXP]

sponsored links

I have just used Partition Magic to make two new partitions on my 80gig HDD. It worked just fine. However, I was under the impression that it could move applications from one partition to another and update the registry, shortcuts, etc.

I want to move applications from the C: drive to one of the new partitions. If PM can do this, I can't seem to figure it out.

If it can't, is there another program that can do it? I realy don't want to un-install them and re-install them to the new partition if I can help it.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:38 PM

I think you need to run Drivemapper or a similar application to enable apps to run from a different partition from that which they were installed upon.

"When adding and deleting partitions, you can end up with existing partitions changing drive letter designations. DriveMapper, an included program, is designed to change drive letter references in shortcuts, INI files, and the Registry so that your applications continue to run."

obtained from.......********opcug.ca/public/Reviews/partmag2.htm

However you will note that the reviewer recommends reinstalling all necessary apps
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:52 PM
Veteran

Yeah ... I knew that, and drive mapper did that for a second drive I have with data (graphics and such) which I also re-worked the partitions on. However, what I am wanting (if possible) is to move applications from one partition to another but not the whole partition.
Since I posted this I actually found a little program that will do it, but it is very clumsy. I used the trial version (10 applications) and it worked fine, but it shuts off after each one, and you have to re-start the program and browse to the apps you want to move each time.

Still ... if there is nothing better, I will buy it ($15.00).

I found it here [URL=***********.funduc.com/]Application Mover