CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 24, 2003, 01:04 AM

Default Burned disk works on some systems, but not others? [Artec; WRR-52x; win98SE]

sponsored links

I have a very odd problem. I'm using an Artec WRR-52x IDE burner on Win98SE with Nero Express 5.5. I can burn disks just fine most of the time (currently using an old spindel of TDK 80min CD-Rs.

The problem is I've tried several times to burn some files to a disk, which seems to work fine. On my Win98SE box my CD-R drive can read the disk, my SCSI Plextor UltrapleX CD-ROM can read the disk, and on my Mandrake 9.0 Linux machine my Samsung SC-152L can read it. However, on my WinXP laptop the Samsung SN-124 does NOT read the disk, and on my Win95B machine the Mitsumi FX-410A drive will not read it either. The disk info is showing as ISO9660/Joliet 1. I only burned one session and one track, and it's only about 315MB. I also looked at the disk info on a commerical game CD that I have and everything looks identical except for the size. Why would WinXP and Win95 not be able to read a disk that Win98SE and Linux can?
Old Apr 24, 2003, 03:39 AM
Veteran

The thing that first springs to mind is that you are using a pretty new model to burn the CD. Try upgrading Nero to the latest version to see if this makes a difference. The list of supported models for Nero increases with every new release and it might just be a compatibility issue.

You could also go through the same procedure with a different brand of CDR to see if this is the cause of the problem.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 02:47 PM

Hey, thanks for the quick response. I'm a little bit confused why the burning software I'm using would be the problem. Since the actual burning of the disk works fine, it seems apparent that my burner is supported (I chalk up a few coasters to just bad disks or trying to burn too fast).

The very weird thing to me is that my oldest OS (Win95B) and my newest OS (WinXP Pro) *both* cannot read the disk, but Win98SE and Linux can. It also seems to be OS rather than hardware (maybe I'm wrong) since the Samsung in my Linux box has no problem, but the Samsung (admitted a different model) in my WinXP laptop cannot ever read the disk.

The contents of the disk is very simple, it's just the install directory for some software I wanted to access from all my workstations. Just normal Windows directory structure with normal files associated with the program. On Linux I can view all of it just fine. There is no special format or anything like that.

Oh, and before someone asks yes I did finalize the track. I didn't choose to burn it in multi-session mode.

I have burned a number of the same disks as audio disks and our stereo CD players (portable, home audio, and even the factory stock CD player in my car) play them just fine.
Old May 05, 2003, 04:30 AM

Hi..

I have spent a lot time burning cd's as I support my locals schools network,
and the one problem i have found is some systems don't support my cd-rw or my cd-r's.

Why well it is the hardware not the os system if you look at the top of your cd drive there will be a label which will tell you the age of your cd drive and the firmware version.

I have a lg 52x cd drive and it used to read all my cd's until i updated my motherboard and cpu since then this drive has problems reading cd-r's but it works fine when it is put back in the the old system.

So a number of factors will be causing problems it is not software based as we would all be using the same and be under a microsoft stlye grip.

Solution.
try swapping a drive that does work with one that dosent if there is no change the you can be shaw that the cd drive is at fault.

Then maybe look at the age and firmware of the cdrive as well as the make's website for help.

Spunkmyer