CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 26, 2003, 09:59 AM

Default Wireless home network security...

sponsored links

Getting ready to setup my home network. I got a D-link di-514 wireless AP/router/4port switch all in one. I wont be using the wireless AP until i get a laptop down the road. I hear that the 128bit WEP is crackable so i want to add some more security to my network. any ideas?
Old Dec 08, 2003, 07:36 AM
Veteran

Add a firewall, assign static IP address to all machines and have the firewall to give access only to these IPs.

But as its wireless, any wireless packet sniffers can still pickup the data given enough time, I believe currently, 64bit is no stronger than 128bit in the right hands, and within sniffing 24hrs, it would only take minutes to crack, so unless the hackers are targeting you or you know otherwise, it should be safe enough for home use, just use non standard SSID, and choose encryption key carefully and if you are serious about security, most WEP allows 4 keys, change the keys daily.

But the point to remember is, nothing is safe, if theres anything thats 100% safe, Microsoft would be king of security by now.

HTH