CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 01, 2004, 07:29 PM
suspended

Unhappy Home network, Internet sharing OK, network not ok!

sponsored links

OK so I finally got around to setting up the Better Half's PC and decided a network was they way to go so we could share the internet connection etc.
Bought a Belkin Cable Router.
Connected everything up - Internet sharing works like a charm but the network doesn't.
So I've rechecked all the settings, TCP/IP - is set to auto detect IP, Microsoft Network / Family components installed. The workgroup name is the same on each PC, File sharing is enabled.

Feeling like a real idiot I then resort to Belkin's installing a network for dummies programme. Ran it - same results.
The wierd thing is that the problem keeps changing

First time I boot up - PC 1 has no PCs showing in network neighbourhood, PC2 has the entire network including PC1 showing.
So I shut everything down. Bootup 2, PC1 has whole network including PC2 but PC2 has nothing. Try to connect to PC2 from PC1 - doesn't work.

Reboot again, PC1 now sees just PC1 on the network, PC2 sees nothing.

Each time the Internet connection is fine, so I know the NICs are working fine & communicating with the Router. Router shows Network connection lights.

PC1 is using an 'ethernet with ROM socket' NIC supplied by the isp, pc2 is using a Belkin NIC. Both PCs run Win98SE.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 01, 2004, 07:35 PM
suspended

Ahh moving to Networking forum
Old Mar 02, 2004, 03:15 AM
Veteran

good boy Darkman

out of experience with this, i would check that either NetBios is enabled in the advanced TCP/IP properties on the DNS tab I believe or install Netbeui protocol.

I have found that if I disable NetBios I get this exact same thing. I know this leaves port 139 open but to be honest behind a NAT'd router you should be fine.

T.

slight edit having read the post............ just realised you are running 98SE but think the concept of my answer still to be the first thing to check.

Last edited by TierraDelFuego; Mar 02, 2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2004, 07:18 PM
suspended

Thanks M8 i'll give it a try.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 08:40 AM

TCP/IP should be the only protocol installed. Also, make sure microsoft network client is installed. you can just click ok if it prompts you for a login and password when you boot up, but DO NOT hit cancel. This is the service that does the workgroup or domain networking in 98 and if you cancel it wont use it. Double check the pc names under the identification tab and make sure they are different. Also, i would double check winipcfg and make sure everything looks ok as far as IPs go. Then instead of browsing network neighborhood if it doesnt work after what i suggest, try typing in IE \\pcname . pcname being one of the pcs you are trying to connect to.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 07:39 PM

or type \\ipaddress\sharename in the run dialogue box, if you use the ip address instead of the computer name it will find it regardless of name resolution issues