CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > HD-DVD & Blue-Ray
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:31 AM

Default Blue Ray Disc (The Next Format)

sponsored links

Here are two pictures of new prototype "Blue Ray" recorder/player and a Blue Ray disc containg over 5 films on it.

***********.blu-ray.org/home.htm

If you do not know, then I will tell you. DVD has now got a new replacement. It is called "Blue Ray", due to the colour of the laser.
Each disc will either be a 27gig single layered single sided disc or a dual layered single sided 50 gig disc.

Because the Blu-ray Disc utilizes global standard “MPEG-2 Transport Stream” compression technology highly compatible with digital broadcasting for video recording, a wide range of content can be recorded. It is possible for the Blu-ray Disc to record digital high definition broadcasting while maintaining high quality and other data simultaneously with video data if they are received together. In addition, the adoption of a unique ID written on a Blu-ray Disc realizes high quality copyright protection functions.

Blue Ray is suported by the following companies who have agreed on a single format unlike the different versions of recordable DVD.

Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
Thomson Multimedia

Hopefully it should be out late 2003 early 2004, start saving folks

Last edited by batman2; Jan 12, 2003 at 10:33 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 12:33 PM
Veteran

Is high-def fans hope this sucker will get released soon. Using DVHS is kind of annoying. Also being able to archive all of those DVD's on one will be nice. No more DVD-9 issue, but we'll c how it all works in the end.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 04:25 AM
Veteran

Sounds great but I will be interested in seing if this format takes off. I think when the video stores start carrying pre-recorded blue-ray movies it will be a sign that the format is ready to take over dvd. Untill that happens however I will stick to dvd. I remember what happened when I went head over heels with the minidisc format (Don't get me wrong I still think that it is the best audio format out there) and nobody else bought into it despite it's compact size and awesome editing features. Even though minidisc still has held on to the portable market I think it's safe to say it will not win out over the compact disc. I just hope that this will not be the case with bluray.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 03:16 PM

also they are considering this format for Playstation 3 games
Old Jan 13, 2003, 10:36 PM
Veteran

imho
if blue ray is not compatable with dvd players that are in the homes now, or are selling by the loads now, then another new format will not be here soon, irrispective of who is behind it.
it may be a good idea for the psx3, new frormat etc. but even that could be suicide for sony as we all know why their consoles lead the field.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 02:03 AM

Default 200 gb format

"One of the primary advantages Blu-ray has versus HD DVD is the fact that the discs support multiple layers. Sony said they're working on discs with as many as 8 layers, bringing the total capacity to 200GB.

"Things that make you go Hmmmm "

P.S. I joined this forum looking for some information on where I could get some OGM formated movies or how I could convert movie to the OGM format. I am using gnump3d for serving mp3 and ogg audio files to myself at work and I would like to look at some movies sometime.

thanks for any leads or help!!