CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 14, 2003, 06:05 AM

Default Which DVD writer?

sponsored links

I have spent a considerable time trying to source the Pioneer 105 because reading in here, it would appear that this is the most popular one. I was told however, by a large mail order company that more and more people are now requesting the Sony -R/+R burner than the Pioneer (both are 4x and both are like gold dust to get hold of!)

Has anyone got the Sony and would like to comment on it please?

The name is associated with Quality, but is this the case for the DVD Writer?

Many thanks
Old Jan 14, 2003, 07:31 AM

Try blankdiscshop.co.uk or bigpockets

got a 104 m8, seem to be alot of people having probs with the 105 at the mo when it comes to burning (firmware prob)
Old Jan 14, 2003, 06:06 PM

not had probs with my 105 and the later models seem to be fine, besides i wouldn't say that Sony was equal to quality, many sony things that i have owned have been utter crap.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 09:39 PM
Veteran

I had big trouble with my Pioneer 103,many small problems with the 104.I sold the 104,and bought the Sony DRU500A.It has been great for the 2 months and 100+ burns.I use 79 cent Accu dvdr- and assorted RW+ media.It is a bit more for the Sony,and the Pioneer can be found rebadged for a real nice price(Cendyne).I may buy a 105 for one of my other systems,but my Sony stays in my main system!
Old Jan 14, 2003, 11:20 PM
Veteran

I own the cendyne 105 which officemax had a special on where after Tax and rebates it came to $180 which is much cheaper than the $350+ sony and it all depends just how badly you want the + format availability. If blu ray takes off in about a year like some claim that it is going to then it is going to take the place of dvd. Keep in mind one of the 10 major backers in this blue ray agreement is sony which for the last year or two has been a big backer to the dvd+ format. The fact that sony has now released a drive that supports - as well as + tells me one thing the dvd+ format is going to be killed before it gets a chance to reach the level of dvd-r. One of the other backers in this blu ray agreement is Pioneer. So the answer is if you can't wait get a cendyne (Pioneer) - format drive which will be quite a bit cheaper. If you can wait for the blu ray which should come out at the begining of next year I would try to go for that format since it can hold so much more than any of the dvd formats. Dvd-r/-rw=4.7 gigs/120 minutes. Dvd+r/+rw=4.7 gigs/120 minutes Dvd-ram=9.4 gigs. BLU RAY=27 GIGS!!!!
The site right now currently has a picture of a blue ray disc with 5 dvd quality movies on one disc which implys that the stupid 2hour limit that currently binds dvds will not be a problem with blu ray. Sorry to throw a new wrench into the equation just thought you should know. please go to www.blueray.org for more facts on this new technology. Hope this helps
Old Jan 14, 2003, 11:24 PM
Veteran

sorry about the double post. The link that I posted for blu ray is inaccurate. Take a look at batman2s post for the correct link to the blu ray site.