CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 22, 2002, 01:27 AM

Unhappy Cannot read from VCDs or music CDs [; ; win98]

sponsored links

Okay, this problem has been driving me nuts for six months now (no joke!) and I've not been able to find anybody that can solve it for me. Maybe one of you knowledgable people can.

I cannot read VCDs or music CDs on my six-month-old system...and haven't been able to since the first time I tried it. If I put a VCD or music CD in the drive, I can open it just fine, no problems...but if I try to copy anything at all from such a disk, I get:

"Error: Cannot read from file or device."

I cannot open a VCD or music disk just for playing, either.

I can copy files from standard ISO disks just fine.

Here's my system specs:

Windows: Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A

Processor: GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 1 Pentium 4 2.0 GHz

Bios: American Megatrends 08/01/01

Motherboard: Intel D850MV

CD R/W: Pine 32x10x40

Let me tell you what I've already tried:

1) I've cleaned the drives. No joy.

2) I've tried *3* different CD-ROM and/or CD-RW drives. Same problem with each. (These drives work fine for reading from VCDs on an old 433 MHz Gateway system)

3) I've tried the drives as slaves and as masters, and on both IDE ports. Same results, no matter what the configuration.

4) I've tried reading VCDs and music CDs burned with this drive, with another drive on another computer, and commercial VCDs (yes, they *do* exist). Same results: "Cannot read from file or device."

5) VCDs burned with a CD-R/W (any of them I've hooked up to this system) read/play fine on another system; they play fine on a standalone DVD player.

6) I've deleted the CD-ROM drivers and rebooted, forcing a re-install. Same results as before.

I am *literally* at my wit's end. There are a couple of VCDs that I want to update (replace one of the tracks with a better version) but I can't as long as I can't read from a VCD!

Help!

Please!

Scott Gray
Old Sep 24, 2002, 06:40 PM
Veteran

Hi Scott, looks like youve covered all the hardware angles, what about software, what you using? version and manufacturer, how are you trying to open a music disk for playin? what file are you tryin to play in the VCD?

your post is a little confusing in places:

[b][i]If I put a VCD or music CD in the drive, I can open it just fine, no problems[/i][/b]

[b][i]I cannot open a VCD or music disk just for playing, either.[/i][/b]

Although this may be me, Im a bit knacked
Old Sep 25, 2002, 02:51 AM
Veteran

HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR IDE CABLES,ARE ANY OF THE PINS BENT DOWN OR SNAPPED ON YOUR IDE PORTS.IN YOUR BIOS SETTINGS ARE THE SLAVE AND MASTER SETTINGS SET TO NONE.I ASK THIS QUESTION BECAUSE I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM ONCE WITH AN OLD GIGBYTE BOARD WHICH MADE THE DRIVES ON MY SYSTEM USELESS UNLESS I HAD THE MASTER AND SLAVE SETTINGS ON THE IDE PORT WHERE MY CD ROMS WERE SET TO NONE