CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 01, 2002, 08:33 PM

Unhappy New Win98 system won't read from VCD... [; ; win98SE]

sponsored links

I'm having a peculiar problem and I hope someone has the answer.

A couple of months ago I bought a new P4 2.0GHz system that had Win98SE pre-installed on the hard drive, and a generic 16x burner. I haven't gotten around to upgrading to XP yet, though I plan to do so.

Everything worked fine until last week. Last week was the first time I tried to copy from a VCD to the hard drive on this new system. All I get is "Cannot read from file or device".

The VCDs in question were written by this drive, and play perfectly on other drives and on standalone players.

I *can* copy files from a standard ISO software archive CD; I CANNOT copy files from a VCD I burned myself, or a music CD (likewise burned by me).

I think this must be a Win98SE issue, because

1) I did not have this problem on my old 433MHz system running Win98 and

2) When I boot using a boot floppy with CD-ROM support, I can copy the files to the hard drive.

So...does anyone know how I get Win98SE to let me copy from a VCD that I've burned? I suspect this is some kind of built-in "copy protection" on Microsoft's behalf, since it won't copy from an audio CD, either.

Will I have this same problem when I upgrade to XP?

Note: I've tried to do the copying under Windows using both drag & drop AND other programs (VCDEasy, Nero) to move the files to the hard drive; no dice EXCEPT by using a plain boot disk.

Help...?
Old Aug 02, 2002, 12:04 AM
suspended

Win98 has native CDROM support and it appears that the CDROM drivers have become corrupted. To fix this click on Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Hardware -> Device Manager. Find the CDROM in the devices list & right click on it. Select 'remove' and reboot.
This will force Windows to set up the CDROM again and should cure the read problems.
Old Aug 02, 2002, 01:37 AM

Just tried that...no go. Exactly the same error as before! Grrr...
Old Aug 06, 2002, 12:47 AM
suspended

It's possibly due to a dirty CDROM drive, they can get fussy if the laser gets dirty. Here's a cleaning guide ***********.deinmeister.de/cdrep_e.htm if you wanted to try cleaning it.