CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 04, 2006, 07:25 AM

Question re-installing xp ?'s!

sponsored links

hi,
here's what i need to do. i've got xp & office on a smaller HD(C) and some other stuff on a larger HD (E) with the use of a controller(thx to a older bios). i've copied drive to drive and want to reformat, re-install xp windows on (C) and put xp office on (E). can this be done? right now (C) is full to the rim and starting to freeze on me. any other suggestions? i know i need a newer system but it's not in the cards right now.
thx,
85BJ60
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:45 AM
Veteran

In other words you want to change the drives over E to C & C to E.

Yes it can be done, but bothe drives will need there partitions deleting as drive E is now the active drive for the operating system, and C drive is an extention etc.

What you need to do is save all your data or work onto CD-R or CD-RW if you have this type of ROM drive fitted, including a copy of your favourits etc.

Change the drives over (and check the drives are now being detected in the BIOS correctly) then boot up with Win98 setup flopy or Windows sescue or Potition Magic, and delete the partitions to both discs, repartition the drives with the now larger drive as C drive and make it the active partition, and E drive as an extended dos partition, format bothe drives.

You can now reinstall XP on drive C, and Office XP on to drive E.

colin.
Old Sep 05, 2006, 10:07 PM

hi,
can i partition an already in service HD or do i have to start from scratch? i could get rid of the smaller HD altogether & the controller. i've looked at the suggested info and checking the bios is not to clear to me . the rest seems doable .
85BJ60
Old Sep 06, 2006, 07:55 AM
Veteran

As your not to klear as to how to go about things, i would do one thing at a time.

First only install the drive that you want for your boot drive C, making it the Master drive on IDE port 1.

Partition it make it the active drive and format it.

Then install the operating system.

Once that is done you can then install the other HDD as Master on IDE port 2, as it is already partitioned, first delete the partitions already on the drive and repartition it as an extended DOS partition, and format it.

colin.
Old Sep 09, 2006, 07:47 AM

HI,
i'm in the middle of reformating my c: and i can't get past a hurdle. i'm getting the c:/windows/options/cabs> and cannot get past that? i've reformatted before but never got stuck here!
85BJ60
Old Sep 10, 2006, 05:46 PM
Veteran

Best cure is to start over again, delete the partition/s reinstate the partitions, remembering to activate C drive, and formating etc.

See if you can now install XP ok.

colin.