CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 09, 2003, 06:55 AM
Veteran

Default Invalid files under XP Home

sponsored links

We have a PC here, ran XP Home on NTFS, suddently it went belly up and XP no longer bootable, recovery, fixes, re-install and it did nothing.

So I moved the drive to Slave and installed a fresh HDD on Pri-Master and installed XP Home on that, all seems fine, now the next step is to bring the data over from the problem drive to the new one, but XP will hang with messages when accessing some files, with messages such as invalid filename, or simply 'This file cant be move/copy or delete'.

The other tricks I normally use would be to RAR the whole folder and then bring the whole file across and expand it, but WinRAR on this occasion would either hang the whole machine or reboots when it hots these files.

Did scandisk, used OnTrack Disk-Fixer and after 3 different software and 24hrs later, the drive came back clean, not a single bad sector within.

To copy the files across manually is not an option as there are well over 1500 folders and approx 25'000 files, so if there any other software that can scan and delete or rename these invalid files ? I suspect these files are damaged, but as the drive look and sound healthy, I think the NTFS table is corrupted.

I can see and access the files (Ones thats working as only may be 1% of the files are invalid) and drive fine, but need to move them over to the new drive.

Any help would be grateful..
Old May 09, 2003, 06:57 AM
Veteran

Duffy, thinking that the NTFS Table is corrupted have you tried partition magic and repartitioning it with NTFS over the top?
Old May 09, 2003, 07:35 AM
Veteran

Yes, PM8 returns invalid drive format, cant continue, no error code given. because I thought about converting the drive to FAT32 for easier file access and hoping during the process, it may convert the files to a more readable format, but no such luck.

Also there may be a danger when converting that the files which are readable now may die all together if things go wrong if the NTFS table are damaged more due to changes.
Old May 09, 2003, 09:10 AM
Veteran

Tried creating a couple of new directoried on the same HDD and then copying the files Folder by Folder within te one created? Then if that goes ok....copy to new HDD. Thats the other thing that I have done when had the same sort of issues
Old May 09, 2003, 12:49 PM
Veteran

Cool

Try mounting the partitions in a DOS environment with a utility like NTFSDOS and see it you can accomplish the transfer there.
Check the permissions on the folder with ther files, you might have to take ownership in order to copy/transfer with NTFS. Although it should have dropped it with the FAT32 conversion.
Try a data recovery software that can read RAW such as Bad Copy Pro.
Try renaming the folders.

My guess is that the volume is either damaged or corrupted, in which case programs like "Disk Commander" should prevail.

Just a few suggestions.........good luck...

[EDIT]
[URL=***********.systernals.com]www.systernals.com
[B]NTFSDOS[/B] (read only, free)
[B]NTFSDOS Professional[/B] (read/write acccess)

[URL=***********.winternals.com]www.winternals.com
[B]Disk Commander[/B]
[/EDIT]

Last edited by BlackDiamondJr; May 09, 2003 at 04:59 PM.
Old May 09, 2003, 04:10 PM
Veteran

You need to d/l something like "[url=***********.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=NTFS+reader]NTFS Reader" which is a compact and powerful DOS utility that can read NTFS volumes from DOS environment and copy files and folders to drives having FAT file system.

HTH m8!!