CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:17 PM
Veteran

Default cable modem internet problems... need advice

sponsored links

i have broadband cable modem internet and i've been having bad problems the past two weeks and tech support can't seem to help.

The problem is that i cannot ping the modem IP address...
The way it works is that i have an ip address to the internet and the modem actually has two ip addresses. one is for the configurations which is ********192.168.100.1 and one is for the ISP's internal network. It's a 10.x.x.x
I've been disconnecting alot and the only way i can get back on is release and renew....

The problem i think is that i cannot ping the modem (10.x.x.x) address. I've tried different NIC cards and even different computers. They even gave me a new modem to try.
when i go to Command prompt and do: tracert google.com the first result should be the 10.x.x.x but it times out and goes to the next traces till it gets to google.
So even while i have internet connection, i still can't even ping the modem...
What could be wrong?
thanks
Noam
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:35 PM
Veteran

hi m8 i had same problem where you could not ping the system and found
out some things it might be
one is your modem box needs replacing up to date watch out for companys trying to pass of there old stock of modems
the other option is something to do with a firewall you are running
all so check in your device managerment and check that the drivers are
fully working for your network card and all so update the software too
if all fails it might be worth trying a diffrent network card
but end of the day it sounds like something is blocking you from pinging
aka firewall

backup2k1(the name u can trust)
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:48 PM
Veteran

well, i tried hooking it the modem directly to my laptop which isn't even running the built in XP firewall!!!
I can get on the internet just fine, but again - can't ping the freaking modem.
Traceroutes get traced all the way to google, but it times out on the first hop which should be the 10.x.x.x ip for the modem.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 01:39 AM
Veteran

hi m8 if its not working with your other laptop it sounds like you got a faulty modem and need to get it replaced right away
enclose is a site to check out your modem

backup2k1

***********.pcpitstop.com/internet/default.asp

and shows how to ping your pc
just incase

***********.umanitoba.ca/acn/remote/win/testing/
Old Jul 26, 2003, 05:03 PM
Veteran

i purchased a new modem. This is the 3rd modem i've had with my ISP. still no luck. i can ping the modem IP address 10.x.x.x but on the tracert i get a timeout on the first hop which should be the cablemodem 10.x.x.x

It seems like a routing problem. It's been 3 weeks and they don't help. everytime i call them they make me tell the about the problem alll over again and all they tell me is to try a different NIC card which is the first thing we tried 3 WEEKS ago!