CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 20, 2003, 06:24 PM

Angry Help with CDRW [Custom Built; ; win2KPro]

sponsored links

Sony CDRW drive was working fine last Wednesday. Burned a disc and all ok. On Friday tried to install a driver off of a cd and got the message: The disc in drive D: is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? Yes or No.
I tried several discs all with the same result (Pressed or burned). The only discs the drive would play are audio cd's. Talked with a friend and said it sounded like laser was off track. Went out and bought a new MSI 52X24X52 CDRW on Saturday. Installed in system and got same thing with new drive. Tried moving drive to Master on its own IDE channel. Also tried using Force ASPI to remove any ASPI drivers and then reinstall. No luck. Checked my event viewer and this is what it says:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Removable Storage Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 116
Date: 5/20/2003
Time: 6:04:30 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JAY-OFFICE
Description:
RSM could not identify the media in drive Drive 0 of library ATAPI CD-RW 52XMax. An error was encountered while attempting to read data from the media.
Data:
0000: ed 03 00 00 ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW this is a computer I built. Dual processor PIII 667 chips. Thanks, JayBirde
Old May 20, 2003, 09:36 PM
suspended

Try uninstalling your burnware, use Regclean to remove any remaining registry entries, run force ASPI again and then reinstall the burning software. The 'do you want to format' problem sounds like something that would be caused by packet-writting software that comes with some burning applications.
Old May 21, 2003, 10:07 PM

Thanks for speedy reply Darkman. Ok. Tried what you said. Downloaded latest ASPI drivers from Adaptec and installed after doing Reg Clean. Loaded in Nero and rebooted. Nero sees my CDRW and allows me to burn audio cd. (gonna try data cd next) When I click on My Computer, the cd icon just says compact disc and when I click on it gives me the format message again. Any ideas now? Seems it will write but not read.
Old May 23, 2003, 01:40 AM
suspended

Well that's a new one. Normally the problem is it can read discs but not write to them.
Have you checked the device settings? DMA, AIN and disconnect should be enabled. I'm not an XP user but I recall that DMA is hidden in the BIOS under an option to 'enable DMA if available' for the device.
Old May 23, 2003, 05:35 PM

Not running XP. Windows 2000 Professional. When you check properties of drive doesn't have DMA and all those check boxes like XP does. Has to be software related problems though. Still saying it encountered an error while trying to read media in drive 0. Weird!! Well, thanks for your help.
Old Jun 06, 2003, 02:50 AM

in windows 2000 the DMA setting is in the IDE controller driver, not the CD-R driver, and they are all off by default. set them all to 'dma if available' rather than 'pio only' including the ones on your hard drives