CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Consumer's Opinion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 17, 2002, 10:57 AM

sponsored links

My M8's just had this problem, he got a k7s5a board from the local computer fair, the book said Athlon up to 1.4gig. So he contacted elite, if you have a revision 1 board it only takes athlon up to 1.4 like others have said if it has an xp sticker (any revision after 1 latest 3.1) then it takes an Athlon xp up to anthing.

Dear User

This is an automatic reply.

In the first instance please contact your vendor for direct support, check the support, BIOS and driver section on WWW.ECS.UK.COM or WWW.ECS.COM.TW to see if your question is answered there or refer to the information below for an answer.

Or if you are a direct trade customer please speak to your sales contact for the email address.

If your an answer is not there please email [email]support_tpe@ecs.com.tw[/email].

Regards
Technical Support

FAQ for the K7S5A

Q1) How do I get 266 FSB on my memory and CPU?

Q2) Does the K7S5A have any hardware monitoring utility?

Q3) What sound drivers do I need for windows XX?

Q4) Were can I get the sound drivers for Linux?

Q5) What are the pin outs for the USB plugs?

Q6) Will my K7S5A supports the Athlon XP processor?

Q7) When attempting to use 133/133 bios setting I get a blue screen.

Q8) What speed processor can this board take?

Q9) Were can I get the IDE drivers?

Q10) How do I turn off the built in sound?

Q11) I have a version 1.0, 1.1 or 3.1 what bios do I use?

Q12) Were can I download the latest chipset drivers?

Q13) Why does it not detect my 32GB or greater hard disk?

Q14) How do I flash my Bios using amifxxx (I receive Error 2: File not Found)

Q15) The Power LED connector (3 Pin) will not fit on the board (2 Pin)

Q16) After BIOS update system will not boot with PCI Devices inserted.

Q17) What are the pin outs for the Front Panel Audio (FP_AUDIO)?

Q18) I hear the following, or similar, from the speaker: 2 beeps pause 8 beeps long pause 2 beeps pause 1 beep and have No video display.

Q19) The sound output from the system is low or recording from the microphone is low.

Answers

Q1) How do I get 266 FSB on my memory and CPU?
A1) All motherboards for the Athlon and Duron Have bus Speed of 100 and 133 which is then doubled up to 200 and 266 by the CPU. We show what is the true speed of the CPU clock. This is the same for the DDR memory setting as well, which are done in the bios setting.

Q2) Does the K7S5A have any hardware monitoring utility?
A2) There is no specific hardware monitor software, but you can download generic software from the Internet. E.g. <********mbm.livewiredev.com/>

Q3) What sound drivers do I need for windows XX?
A3) The K7S5A (Up to Version 3.1A) uses the sis7012 codec which is built into the sis735 chipset and these can be download from www.sis.com <***********.sis.com>, For windows XP you can use the 2000 drivers you will get a warning about the drivers not having a digital signature, Just continue with the install.

The K7S5A V3.1B uses the cmedia 9738 codec. The drivers for this can be downloaded from WWW.ECS.UK.COM <***********.ECS.UK.COM> in the Download then Driver Section.

Q4) Were can I get the sound drivers for Linux?
A4) We do not supply any Linux sound drivers but you can find driver at www.alsa-project.org <***********.alsa-project.org> and need to use the Intel drivers.

Q5) What are the pin outs for the USB plugs?
A5) USB PLUG Pin outs

Q6) Will my K7S5A supports the Athlon XP processor?
A6) First you will need to inspect the motherboard and look for the following information. Around the CPU socket do you have XP stickers or near the PCI slots a V3.1 Sticker or Screen Printed

No sticker 1GHz Duron, 1.4GHz Athlon no support for XP Athlon
XP sticker all Duron up to 1.3GHz, 1.4GHz Athlon and all Athlon XP range up to 2000+, at the moment, depending on BIOS release.

3.1 sticker (or Screen Print) same as the XP sticker

Q7) When attempting to use 133/133 bios setting I get a blue screen.
A7) When running the system at 133/133 the machine seems to come unstable. A lot of the problems come from the memory that is used the first test is to test the memory. You can download a free memory test from ********memtest86.org

Q8) What speed processor can this board take?
A8) First you will need to inspect the motherboard and look for the following information. Around the CPU socket do you have XP stickers or near the PCI slots a V3.1 Sticker or Screen Printed

No sticker 1GHz Duron, 1.4GHz Athlon no support for XP Athlon
XP sticker all Duron up to 1.3GHz, 1.4GHz Athlon and all Athlon XP range up to 2000+, at the moment, depending on BIOS release.

3.1 sticker (or Screen Print) same as the XP sticker

Q9) Were can I get the IDE drivers?
A9) There has not been any SIS IDE drivers, the reason is that Microsoft have always written the drivers into the windows OS.

Q10) How do I turn off the built in sound?
A10) To turn off the built in sound first you need to go into the Bios, from there enter into the ‘Feature Setup’.
There are three options you must disable
1) “OnBoard Game Port”
2) “OnBoard MIDI Port”
3) “OnBoard AC’97 Sound”
When these option are done please save the Bios and reboot, you will have turned off the built in sound

Q11) I have a version 1.0, 1.1 or 3.1 what bios do I use.
A11) At the moment all version’s of the K7S5A use the same bios. So to update the BIOS just use the latest for the type of board you have i.e. with LAN or without LAN

Q12) Were can I download the latest chipset drivers?
A12) For the latest drivers for the chipset you can down load from SIS www.sis.com <***********.sis.com>

Q13) Why does it not detect my 32GB or greater hard disk?
A13) This is down to the Bios and to fix this. You will need to use the latest bios and install it. This will allow support for 70GB and greater.

Q14) How do I flash my Bios using amifxxx
A14) The procedure for flashing the BIOS

Summary
If your system currently has no problems, then it’s suggested not to do the bios revision update. We recommend only flashing the bios, when a revised Bios solves a problem in the old bios that you may be experiencing. Unsuccessful bios or incorrect bios flash may cause the system to fail to boot up.

Manufacturer is not responsible for any bios flash failure.

The requirement of flashing BIOS
To flash the BIOS, you need the following program and BIOS code:

§ Latest version BIOS code
§ BIOS flash program

Both of these items can be downloaded from the BIOS area of our web site. Check the BIOS date code to see if they are the same as before. If so, it's not necessary to flash it since the BIOS does not have newer revision. Before flashing it, make sure the BIOS manufacturer and the model number of your board.

There are two kinds of BIOS Flash program as below.

§ AWDxxx.exe: a specified BIOS flash program for AWARD BIOS.
§ AMIflxxx.exe: a specified BIOS flash program for AMI BIOS.

If your motherboard uses AMI BIOS you will require the BIOS flash program of AMIflxxx.exe. Otherwise, you need AWDxxx.exe flash program. You can find the flash utils from the BIOS area of our web site easily.

The procedure of flashing BIOS
Below is an example of using AMI flash program to flash the BIOS, the AWARD flash is done the same way.

1. Boot up the system using a Boot Disc to DOS mode
2. Under Dos mode Cor A, key in the name of BIOS flash program that has been downloaded. e.g.: A:\AMIFL331 010202s.rom<Enter>. Be aware that you require the full name + ext of the bios file, being executed. The BIOS flash program, depending on version, may ask you if you want to backup the old BIOS, if so then give the path and file name for back up the existing BIOS. e.g. A:\BACKUP.ROM<Enter>

3. After flashing the BIOS, Please remove the boot disk from the floppy drive then, Restart the system.

For the award flash the 010202s.rom would be 010202s.bin. Note the change in the extension from ROM to BIN.

Remark
If the BIOS you have download is not xxxxxxxx.rom or xxxxxxxx.bin, but a xxxxxxxx.zip or xxxxxxxx.exe then the BIOS file is zipped up and need’s to be unzipped before you can use with the FLASH program. You will need a utility called WINZIP for this.

If you do not supply the rom file name then AMI flash utility will report Error 2: File Not Found.

Q15) The Power LED connector (3 Pin) will not fit on the board (2 Pin)
A15) On some cases the Power LED connector to the Motherboard is 3 Pins (One in the middle is blank). The Power LED header on the Motherboard is now 2 Pin.

Either of the following suggestions are done at your own risk.
Carefully remove one of the pin wires then insert it into the middle pin to plug it onto the motherboard or carefully cut down the centre of the middle blank pin (so the 2 are separate) then plug them on to the header separately.

Q16) After BIOS update system will not boot with PCI Devices inserted.
A16) This appears to be associated with the 06/02/2002 BIOS’s and some PCI devices. Please use the backed up BIOS until another BIOS is released for the board.

Q17) What are the pin outs for the Front Panel Audio (FP_AUDIO)?
A17) FP_AUDIO pin outs

Q18) I hear the following, or similar, from the speaker: 2 beeps pause 8 beeps long pause 2 beeps pause 1 beep and have No video display.

A18) This question relates to the 8, successive, beeps that are heard. The 8 beeps mean that the motherboard has not detected a Video Display Adapter, this can either be PCI or AGP. Please ensure the card is seated correctly in its slot.

It could also mean that there is a compatibility issue between Graphics card and Motherboard.

Q19) The sound output from the system is low or recording from the microphone is low.
Please ensure that the drivers and applications for the on-board sound chip are installed and also amplified speakers will have to be used for the output.

When using a microphone to record a powered microphone is required.
Old May 19, 2002, 07:30 PM
Veteran

ok i have the xp sticker and this will take the amd athlon xp 1900+ whats the price for these?

also i am running amd thunderbird 1300mhz processor will the xp one make a big difference?
Old May 20, 2002, 03:38 AM
Veteran

Hi m8, if you get the recently released bios update from ecs then you can get this board upto a 2200xp.
I have the same board, 1st revision an am running a 1700xp.

Cheers